• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 68 HCS red stripes

murf104

I am asking this for a friend who is trying to finish up a black with red stripes HCS. His problem is the color of the outline on the HCS badge on the quarter panel air scoop. On the images of original cars we have found the outline of the badge has been the same color as the stripe. In other words a car with black stripes would have a black border around the HCS badge, and the reproduction badges he has are outlined in gold, which maybe? should be used on a car with gold stripes, not sure about this. So the question is "do any of you have an HCS with red stripes or have an image of an ORIGINAL HCS badge used with the red stripe kit. He assumes that the original side scoop stripe and badge was one peice - is this correct? Any help you can provide will be appreciated in this matter. He wants to "do it right" the first time!

hicountrybob

I am asking this for a friend who is trying to finish up a black with red stripes HCS. His problem is the color of the outline on the HCS badge on the quarter panel air scoop. On the images of original cars we have found the outline of the badge has been the same color as the stripe. In other words a car with black stripes would have a black border around the HCS badge, and the reproduction badges he has are outlined in gold, which maybe? should be used on a car with gold stripes, not sure about this. So the question is "do any of you have an HCS with red stripes or have an image of an ORIGINAL HCS badge used with the red stripe kit. He assumes that the original side scoop stripe and badge was one peice - is this correct? Any help you can provide will be appreciated in this matter. He wants to "do it right" the first time!
I got a call from your friend "Tom" and told him that the original decals DID indeed have the stripe ie, white, red, etc. on both sides, were 1 piece, and were ALL outlined in gold When I found the original source and had badges made up, I DID NOT have them run with the tape, not so much because of the initial cost factor, but because I would not know how many of each color would sell. I, too, would like to see the "images of original cars" with borders being other than gold. I believe Scott Fuller's "original scoop and decal" picture and a picture of the original scoop and decal that was on one of my HCS confirms the gold outline on the decals. On a side note, this '68 decal coloring follows the '66 and '67 HCS metal badge coloring to a "T" in regard to both the 2 blue colors and the gold outline coloring. Thanks for your post, Bob Teets here.
FYI,I have 7-8 pairs of '68 decals left from my initial run and the company that made them (for me and Ford) has dumped the files for clients who have not reordered since, I believe, 1992. But I've JUST found another business who told me they can do them. For the '66 and '67 badges, I have 5 "67" badges and 1 '66 badge left. These metal badges were made up for Ford and for me by a different company who is still in business and who gave me all their art work with my order. So, if demand continues, I may have them do more '66 and '67 badges. Bob T

OP
OP
M

murf104

Thanks for your replies, and I know that Tom talked to both of you about this. Scott and Bob may have the only remaining HCS cars with the original stripes. So far Tom has been unable to locate an HCS with red stripes. Here is a link to an image of a black car with white stripes that seem to have the white outline around the HCS badge. It is on this site and until Scott posted his reply was the only image I could find of an original HCS side scoop with the decal still intact. It does seem to be of the one peice design. This image is what brought the question of color for the outline into discussion.

Go here:
http://www.californiaspecial.com/features2.htm

then go down to "side scoops"

Notice that in this image the running horse as well as the outline are white, and possibly they were gold in the beginning but lost their color over the years as the blue appears to be somewhat faded.

GTCSMustang

I think the gold has just degraded on the badge in the link above. Hard to tell though.

Scott

admin

Staff member
Administrator
This image is what brought the question of color for the outline into discussion.

Go here:
http://www.californiaspecial.com/features2.htm

Notice that in this image the running horse as well as the outline are white, and possibly they were gold in the beginning but lost their color over the years as the blue appears to be somewhat faded.

John, that's my unrestored HCS in the pic you mention. (copied below in this post for reference) The pic is from my original HCS decal on my Highland Green HCS w/ white stripes. The white in the emblem is indeed just extremely faded. My car had been out in the weather for years and years before I bought it.

Sorry my photo caused the confusion. I should probably show a photo of Bob's decals next to it and explain that it's been faded.

Also, as you and Bob mention the HCS decal and side stripes certainly seem to be the one piece design. Again, these are the original factory stripes and factory paint on my car. I bought it from the original owner who never had so much as touch up paint done to it.

I trust Bob's research that the outline, text and linework were supposed to be gold and not color coded to the stripe. It makes perfect sense since the Gold would stand out with any color choice, would make production easier (not having to worry about different colors) and would match the 1966 and 1967 badges. They were gold colored.

hcsdecal4.jpg

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Adding a couple more pics to help:

My other side decal. Much worse shape, but showing the faded gold color better:
hcs-decal3.JPG

Bob's decal from his 428CJ HCS:
hcs-decal1-new.jpg

OP
OP
M

murf104

Thanks to all! I was confused to say the least. You guys always come through. And I certainly did not mean to imply that the decals that Bob has were incorrect. Sorry if my confusion was spreading. Tom also had an image of a black stripe with black outline on the badge, but he is unable to post it or email it to anyone, BUT, it may well have been another case of the gold degenerating and allowing the base color to be seen. I feel confident now that the gold outline is correct no matter what color the stripes are. Again, thanks to all of you!

di81977

FYI,I have 7-8 pairs of '68 decals left from my initial run and the company that made them (for me and Ford) has dumped the files for clients who have not reordered since, I believe, 1992. But I've JUST found another business who told me they can do them. For the '66 and '67 badges, I have 5 "67" badges and 1 '66 badge left. These metal badges were made up for Ford and for me by a different company who is still in business and who gave me all their art work with my order. So, if demand continues, I may have them do more '66 and '67 badges. Bob T

Bob, I just had a bunch of 68 HCS decals made up for my personal use. Played around with lots of different color combinations. Today's computers and technology are pretty impressive. I have the pair I bought from you when I first got my HCS. Good luck matching the colors. The vendor I used does not believe 3M still makes the blue and gold colors that were originally used.

david