• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Chrome Air Cleaner Lid

case12

I am sprucing up my engine compartment just a bit. I have a C code, but would like to add the X code chrome lid with a 289 sticker. Is this a rare item or available from most mustang parts stores? I just want the chrome lid. Thx, Casey

68gt390

Casey;
Lids for "X" and "S" code are the same for 68. They are a pretty rare item to find. Usually will have to look at a swap meet. You might get lucky and find one at a mustang parts place but, not likely. If you do find one it will more than likely need to be streightened and rechromed.

Don

Mosesatm

Is it possible to have a normal 289 lid chromed or are we talking apples and oranges?

joedls

I think I may have a chrome lid in storage. I can check this weekend. If so, it probably has a little rust, but was in decent shape.

390cs68rcode

case12 said:
I checked all my mustang catalogues and no 18 inch chrome air cleaner lids. There is a '67 one on ebay with BIN of $600! Does this other one look right - link below? (Don, Jason?) If so I will bid on it (the seller is a bit picky - no paypal, no checks...but I would go for it). Casey

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8068605235&fromMakeTrack=true

$600 is waaay high for a chrome lid. Why not get yours chromed for maybe $100-$125? Are the 289 lids the same size as the 390's?

the one you showed a link to is not correct. look at mine here to see what is correct for a 68 390.

vbpicgallery.php

OP
OP
case12

case12

joedls said:
I think I may have a chrome lid in storage. I can check this weekend. If so, it probably has a little rust, but was in decent shape.

PM me if you find something. Thx, Casey

68gt390

Mosesatm said:
Is it possible to have a normal 289 lid chromed or are we talking apples and oranges?

Arlie;
We are talking about the same animal. You can chrome any lid. That's the way I'd go and save myself some money.

Don