• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Classic Car Insurance

PFSlim

I am in the process of investigating insurance companies for our GT/CS. Can anyone share with the group what insurance company they use and costs as well.

I just ran a quote on the internet from Hagerty's and it quoted around $360 per year. Does that sound right with what everyone else is paying??

Appreciate the feedback.

Paul

rvrtrash

I have Hagerty's but I think I pay about that for 3 cars. A lot depends on your area, stated value, modifications and what program you're in though.
Steve

68gt390

I just got a quote from Hagerty and it was $889.00 per year for both my cars. :-[ And that's without uninsured motorist. They can keep their quote. Think I'll stay with State Farm. I fully understand the items that effect car insurance (Area, Drivers Record, etc) and that is ridiculous.

I have both cars my 68 GT and my GT/CS insured by State Farm with Full Coverage (Including uninsured/under insured motorist) $100,000/$300,000, Liability Bodily Injury $100,000/$300,000, Property Damage $50,000, Medical Payments $5,000 per accident, Car Rental & Travel Expense and, Death Indeminity with a $250.00 deductible Collision and $100.00 deductible comprehensive on both cars and an agreed upon price - GT at $20,000 and GT/CS at $26,000 and am paying only $550.00 per year for both.
I've also heard all the crap from people who say State Farm and other companies of that type won't come through if I have a claim. I've been with them since I was 16 and have never had a problem filing a claim. I forgot to mention I also have my home owners Insurance with them to. At our last Mustang Club meeting a gentleman from Hagerty was at our meeting and he even said he could not compete with them. Now I see why.

Don

case12

I was paying about $400 per year on my 66 convertible with Allstate for liability only. Hagarty was $189 per year for full coverage at $20k value. I will check and see what the coverage limits were, but needless to say I switched to Hagarty (and did it through my loyal Allstate agent). I will be checking with Hagarty on the GTCS once spring rolls around and let you know. As you say, lots of factors play into the actual price which are hard to compare from person to person or place to place. Casey

OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

Don

I hear what you are saying. We currently have state farm for our house and other auto's. As we speak, our insurance guy is upstairs briefing my wife about our coverages on other matters. Therefore, I took the opportunity to ask him to give me a quote for the Cal Spec. We will see what he comes back with.

Thanks for the responses.

Paul

19HCS68

PFSlim,
I too obtained Hagerty insurance thrugh my Allstate agent. It costs me $165 a year for $15500 coverage, no deductable. I had only been with Hagerty for a month when on the way to a show, we caught a rock in the winsheild and cracked it. Needless to say we were bummed out for the day. Then things got worse for me. I set my pop down during a drawing at the show. When I picked it up to take a drink, I slurped in a bee. OUCH!!! :'( It was a bummer day for me. But back to the subject, we made a claim for the windsheild and I was afraid they would drop me like a hot rock after that. I was AMAZED :eek: at the service I was provided. I got to chose who put the windsheild in, what glass I wanted, installed at my convenience, at my residence, and didn't cost me a penny out of pocket! What more can you ask for. We were not cancelled nor chided in any way. If you have not yet received the point, these Hagerty people are great and I highly recommend them. The only stipulation is that you may not use the vehicle as a daily driver to go to work in and run around for chores. You must possess another car that is normally insured, meaning outragous premiums are paid on that vehicle. :mad: Hope this helps and NO, I'm not an insurance agent!

Gary

68gt390

Gary;
Sorry for the smile on my face but, I can relate to the Bee thing as well. Got me on the tongue and it wasn't a fun time to say the least. I can now look back at it and smile and also say I learned a valuable lesson. I now keep my pop cans with me (in hand). The Hagerty agent at our meeting said because both my cars are 390 Hi Po's and the CS is modified is the reason for their high quote. I'm not an insurance agent either but, I don't see myself changing anytime soon. I also checked one day with "Progressive" because they said they could save me money on my Camry compared to State Farm guess what - didn't happen.

Don

quicknick

I am currently paying $215.00 per year through my Farm Bureau agent for 8 driving months and 4 storage months. $250.00 ded.
The full coverage policy insures the CS for $20.000 and will replace any part that is OEM with another OEM part. Any aftermarket parts that are damaged would be replaced with the same.
Be sure to discuss this option with your agent. Also, be sure the policy gives you the option to have the car repaired at the body shop of "your" choice. Some cut rate policies hide this in the fine print and will force you to send your car to the shop that will save "them" the money with no concern as to how your repairs will turn out.
The old addage applies to insurance....."You get what you pay for!"

68gt390

quicknick;
You may be right in "you get what you pay for" but, at $889.00 that's a little bit more than I want to pay for. Besides, as I mentioned earlier that's ridiculous. I could understand if I had a ton of tickets, accidents or if I were under age 25. I'm no spring chicken at 53 and I've only had 1 ticket in the past 13 years. Besides, let's face it the Car Insurance business is like life insurance, their betting you'll die and your betting you won't.

Don ;D

sam

I am covered through American Automobile Collectors insurance and costs $175/year.

lwlw

We have Hagerty (through our Hartford Agent). It's $130 per year with $25,000 full coverage and towing. Either someone quoted us wrong or we got a really good deal. I'm in Illinois

deestix

There are lots of choices for antique auto insurance: Hagerty, JC Taylor, American Collectors, and others. I've been with Condon and Skelly in NJ for about 10 years. I have the GT/CS valued at $16,000, and another car valued at $15,000, with total premium of $294. I've been very happy with their service (admittedly no claims filed). Do a Google search for 'antique auto insurance', and you'll see a lot of your choices.