• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Oil Sending Unit

68gt390

Am replacing my electrical gauges with mechanical gauges. Temperature sending unit was no problem but, am having trouble getting the oil sending unit to break loose from the oil filter housing. Have tried PB Blaster, impact wrench with specific ford tool for removing sending unit. Have even tried heating unit with a torch. No luck so far. Anyone have any suggestions? It's a big block 390. Really don't want to buy a whole new unit if I don't have to.

Thanks

Don :'(

rvrtrash

Sounds like you're going to be buying a new one but you might try removing the housing from the block and soaking it in Kerosene or Diesel for a few days. Don't smoke around it! ;D It might just get into the threads and allow the sender to move.
Steve

OP
OP
68gt390

68gt390

[quote author=n.id.steve link=board=1;threadid=1067;start=0#msg5909 date=1093402079]
Sounds like you're going to be buying a new one but you might try removing the housing from the block and soaking it in Kerosene or Diesel for a few days. Don't smoke around it! ;D It might just get into the threads and allow the sender to move.
Steve
[/quote]

Steve;
Thanks for the suggestions. Didn't soak it in Kerosene but, did put it into some gasoline, then dried it off and heated the fitting and it finally broke loose. Thanks again. PS: Trust me I didn't smoke around it either.

Don ;D

rvrtrash

Glad you got it apart and your eyebrows are intact. 8)
Steve

rvrtrash

It's on a piece of hexagon pipe sticking out of the block by the fuel pump.

Steve

dualies

do I reach it from under the car? is it like under the air conditioning compressor? do I need to remove anything to get to it??

Mosesatm

Here is a picture. If I remember correctly the power steering pump is the greatest problem.

Attachments

• Oil Sending Unit.jpg
    Oil Sending Unit.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 29

dualies

is this end suppose to have a wire connector connect to it?
in my car it is just bare, nothing connect to it, just like the picture.
This is a new one I bought, was going to replace the old one.

Attachments

• IMG00348.jpg
    IMG00348.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 23

case12

is this end suppose to have a wire connector connect to it?
in my car it is just bare, nothing connect to it, just like the picture.
This is a new one I bought, was going to replace the old one.
That is your oil pressure sending unit, and yes it should have the oil gauge wire hooked up to it. Casey