• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Torque Thrust wheels?

hatchdog

I really like the look of the American Racing Torque Thrust wheels and think they look fantastic with Highland Green. (Yea I know, channeling my inner Bullit)

What’s the general thought out there about these wheels? My car has the chrome Ford wheel with the GT center caps which look great as is.

This is the car just bought by a member that has the Torque Thrust wheels. Even considering the wheels shown need some love I’m digging the look.

What say you?

http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13266

Attachments

• 511F4994-004A-4532-94AF-64B01811B5EA.jpeg
    511F4994-004A-4532-94AF-64B01811B5EA.jpeg
    17.6 KB · Views: 114

robert campbell

I love them also. Make sure that you think about the width/height or your current tires if you reuse them. The TT's have a bit more offset towards the fenders and can cause rubbing issues if the tires are to wide.

What tire size to you have?

Rob

1968Cally

I agree with Neil - The Torque Thrust are the best non Ford wheels. So period correct.

I have the Styled Steel Chrome Wheels and GT caps. They were new last summer before I owned it. But, If I change my wheels, I will go with the 15" Shelby 10-spokes and Firestone Wide Oval Style radials.

franklinair

Clarification:
Neil does not like Torque Thrust wheels on GT/CS models.
Neil prefers the SS (Argent or Chrome) Mustang wheels, or even better, Shelby 10 spokes for GT/CS models.
Torque Thrust wheels should only be allowed on nondescript hotrods (any make, any model), and would require Congressional approval in both houses of Congress.

Neil:icon_no:
(Peggy says I need to work on my people skills.):wink:

1968Cally

Again, I agree with Neil. Relatively rare cars should be kept stock as much as possible. Just my humble opinion. Any time I see a modified Shelby, I just cringe. With wheels though, as long as you keep the styled steel wheels, it is easy to switch back.

Good luck getting both houses of congress to agree on anything.

CougarCJ

I like the Torque Thrust wheels on that car. Also like the styled steel wheels for 1968.
Those are my two choices over stock hub caps.

stangfan

While I said that I like the Torque Thrusts, my own preference is the styled steels that came on my GT/CS from the factory. :grin:

robert campbell

Rob prefers Crager's or TT's!! Period perfect upgrade for a GT/CS! I bet there were more GT/CS and HCS cars in the late 60's with Crager's and TT'S than stock wheels.

Rob the Mod man

Mosesatm

Another Cragar option are the Keystone Klassic wheels.

Attachments

• Backing Out of Trailer 2.jpg
    Backing Out of Trailer 2.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
hatchdog

hatchdog

Rob,

My tires are 205 65R15 mounted on (guessing) 7” rims. (Arlie, do you remember the width?) Front disc and rear drums.

Neil,

I have contacted my Congresswoman Cathy McMorris-Rogers:smile: and my two Senators Patty Murray:sad: and Maria Cantwell:sad: and I have been granted Congressional permission to temporarily change my wheels as long as I keep the Ford SS chrome and GT center caps. :grin::grin:

Arlie,

Those Keystone’s look great with the blue on that car however I like the gray spokes with the green.

Funny, back in the day (1970’s) even tho all I could afford were ET slotted mags I thought any wheel that wasn’t a Cragar was a cheap knock off. Particularly Keystones. What a wheel snob I was.:rolleyes:

Mike

franklinair

I LIKE them. I had a set on a '69 Grande' many years ago.
But now that I've become old & crotchity I prefer to stick with 'correct' applications, especially for the more rare models.
Not that I'm guilt free of some mods: Pertronix Ign, Edelbrock Carbs, Mini tachometer, upgrading to Deluxe interiors, AM/FM radios, Gold CS striping, etc.

Neil

robert campbell

Dad,
I hate to say it but you are approaching the "dark side" of the restomod world. Yoda will save you if you go to the world of Dagobah and take his training to restore your faith in the world of factory original!! You know, points and condensers, old bias belt tires, and non-detergent oil!!!

Rob

franklinair

Ahh. The good old days, when the world was more simple.:rolleyes:
I still miss the old 'Bubble' wheel balancers. Sigh.

Dad