• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

problem with my fan

BrandonB

OK my fan is hitting the hard black plastic peice the goes around the fan I'm thinking just triming the part it hits at right off cus its already broken a bit any better ideas???? please help

Calspecialdreamer

Brandon,

That is the "shroud" you are talking about. Is your fan wobbling? Loose? If not, is the shroud on straight? You can take the shroud off, but it does help cool the engine by way of forcing the air on it with the fan. Seems to me you probably have a shroud that is not connected properly.......

OP
OP
B

BrandonB

well how can I fix it? all 4 bolts hold it in place its hitting on the bottom of the shroud, or atleast whats left of it.

Calspecialdreamer

Brandon,

I would remove the shroud temporarily. Something is not right tho. Maybe your motor mounts are bad and the engine is not exactly positioned correctly. Maybe it is the wrong shroud. Maybe it is not installed correctly. It could be a few things. I would have a mechanic look it over and see. Doesn't sound like it is major tho.

OP
OP
B

BrandonB

Cal

I'm sorry for taking up all your time. but how do I get the shroud off? Its pinned between the radiator and the fan sits right inside of it. If i unbolt it I cant slide it out anywhere or am I missing something again? I wanted it to both look and sound good not like a plane =/ thats why im spamming you.

Calspecialdreamer

Brandon,

I guess where it is hitting has not worn through (making a crack you can pull around your fan). You should be able to unbolt from the radiator, and slide it around the fan. Is the shroud too thick to take out without removing the fan?

OP
OP
B

BrandonB

I'm thinking it might be to thick =/. What do you mean making a crack like spliting my shroud?

OP
OP
B

BrandonB

Yeah, I looked at it there is no way to take the shroud off. The fan is just about pressed right up next to the radiator.

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Sounds like you'll have to remove the radiator.

OP
OP
B

BrandonB

Is that a hard job? cus if it is then I'll have to wait for tomarrow.

OP
OP
B

BrandonB

Never mind I just snapped half my shroud off instead thanks for trying to help.

Russ

Too bad about the fan shroud, as a replacement is around $100. You can get some plastic epoxy and glue it back together. I did that on my GT, and it has been holding for the past year.

About the fan, there are many different 1968 fans, and some have a larger diameter. My car (289 cu in with air) has a fan that flexes as the engine speeds up. The part number on this fan is "OF C8 SE-B".

If your car has factory air conditioning, it should have the 24" radiator and this radiator rides on rubber cushions. The cushoins can be worn or missing misaligning the radiator. It could also be a worn motor mount, as mentioned earlier in this forum.

Finally, the only way to get the shroud off is to 1) remove the shroud from the radiator and slid it back toward the rear of the car, and 2) remove the radiator from the car. Then take the shroud out around the fan. It's a pain!

Once again, sorry you broke the shroud.

Russ

x-codegtcs

In the future, the way you remove the shroud is to slip a wrnch in and remove the fan first (4 bolts) then remove the shroud.

About your problem, in addition to the above problems, maybe the fan is the wrong one.

OP
OP
B

BrandonB

Possibly I'll just save up for a new shroud not a big deal and its better then sounding like a plane ;D