• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Timing Cover Question

jaystang

Hey Guys,
As some of you know I am in the process of rebuilding a 351w to put in my 68. The block that I have is dated 1984. I just recently purchased a new water pump that states it was for a 79-85. I get the pump and it bolts up ok but the water ports do not match up to the timing cover that was originally on the block. I check the codes on the timing cover and realize that it was from 1987. Ok that makes sense, so I go and order a timing cover that was specified for the 1984 block. This arrives, and all is well, it matches the block and the water pump. Only problem is, there is a port on the right side of timing cover that I have no idea what is suppose to go there. It’s kinda an "intake" style looking port with 2 threaded bold holes on each side. I put my "artist" skills to use and attempted to draw what it looks like in Photoshop (see below). Does anyone know what this is and what is suppose to go there?

timingcover_question.jpg

*note: I do not have the part in front of me so I was drawing from memory.
May not be 100% accurate but I'm pretty sure it's close.

Thanks,
~Jamie

miller511

Jamie,

Mechanical fuel pump mount. There is an eccentric "cam" wheel that bolts to the end of the cam which moves an arm on the fuel pump.

I believe there is a block off plate that you can buy separately for this location (if you are using an electric fuel pump).

-Jeff

OP
OP
J

jaystang

Ah perfect, that makes sense. I will be running an electric fuel pump so i will just purchase a block off plate! Thanks Jeff!!

miller511

Jamie,

Another tid-bit with the timing cover- This may not apply to you, but...depending on the vintage of the cover vs the vintage of the block, on my recent 347 (302) engine build, I had to enlarge (with a drill) a couple of blind holes on the back of the timing cover to clear two rolled steel cover allignment pins that were poking out the front of the block. Not a big deal to fix this.

-Jeff

OP
OP
J

jaystang

Jeff,
Thanks, this is very helpful. I will be sure to check for this when I install it next weekend.
~Jamie