• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 289 vs. 302 block

Tequila

I am in the process of getting a new reman engine for my 68. According to the VIN it is a 289 2V engine. I know they previous owner(s) installed a 1973 302 engine in it. I worked with a local shop to locate all the period correct brackets for a 68 as well as the c-code intake manifold.

I read somewhere that Ford switched to 302 block sometime mid year. My car was actually built on 6/20/1968. So if they used a 302 block, would they have changed the VIN number to reflect this change or would it still be classified as a C code? I am trying to see if I can get away with using a 302 long block engine (to gain the extra HP) but still use all the period correct brackets, including the 3 bolt crank pulley. Are the brackets for 68 interchangeable with a 289 & 302?

Any input? Thanks!!!
RT

rvrtrash

If it's not going to be numbers matching, use a mid 80's and up roller rocker 302 motor, stroked to 347cu in., forged pistons, about 8.0/1, fuel injection with big throttle body and a supercharger running 6 psi of boost, long tube headers with an X pipe.

Steve (filling in for brother Rob)

Ruppstang

I am not certain of you goals for the car but if to wish to keep it as it was a late C code
with a 302 block you will need to use 289 head and dress it as a C code 289. A lot of the parts, brackets interchange between the 289 and the 302 but the crank drive pulleys are different. Since it is not a numbers matching car you may as well go for the HP and I would add the 4V as well.
Good luck Marty

robert campbell

If it's not going to be numbers matching, use a mid 80's and up roller rocker 302 motor, stroked to 347cu in., forged pistons, about 8.0/1, fuel injection with big throttle body and a supercharger running 6 psi of boost, long tube headers with an X pipe.

Steve (filling in for brother Rob)

Now were talkin!!! Might raise the boost to 12 pounds!!

Plus 1 on what Marty said. A tasteful installation of a 500 CFM Edelbrock four barrel carb and intake would not hurt the cars value one bit. They sell a nice complete top end package that includes a mild camshaft, lifters, and such. a great package and it will up your performance without affecting gas mileage.

You can even go a bit stealthy and paint the intake if you wish to match the stock stuff. The stock air cleaner covers everything and to the casual passer by it looks rock stock.

Rob

OP
OP
T

Tequila

I am not certain of you goals for the car but if to wish to keep it as it was a late C code
with a 302 block you will need to use 289 head and dress it as a C code 289.

I am hoping to keep it as original as possible, however the engine I was planning on getting is from sanjengines and they don't offer much in terms of different configurations. They either have a 302 or 289 long block.

CougarCJ

Your original engine was probably a 302 block with 289 cylinder heads and 289 crankshaft.
All of the brackets and pulleys will interchange if you stay with the 3 bolt crank balancers. Presuming that you have your vintage brackets and pulleys?

I would be concerned with what components Sanjengine uses. They are likely using 1970's cast iron cylinder heads. I think that 1980 was the cutoff year for 28oz. and 50oz flex plates. Later blocks also had the oil dip stick in the block, not the timing cover.