• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Adding headrests to a '68

dalorzo_f

Wanted headrests in my '68's.

Background, '68 seats are different then '65-'67 and '69 and later. The TMI sport seat headrests don't fit '68's (they look kinds funky IMO) and the 69 single posts don't work either.

OEM '68 headrests are really hard to find. $$$$$

As the '69 headrests and mounts are now available repro, looked at how to modify the '68 seat to add the '69 headrest.

So, in a nutshell;

Buy 2x 105 x 200 x 2.8mm (4" x 8" x 3/32") plates, 4x 3/8" 1 1/2"L bolts (could go 1"), 4x 3/8" nyloc nuts, 8x 3/8" flat washers, and 8x 1/4" nyloc nuts.

Cut upper edge of seatback to notch to accept the headrest bracket.

Place plate under bracket and over seatframe. Mark 4x 1/4" holes for bracket and 2x 3/8" for mouting to the seat.

Drill 4x 1/4" holes and 2x 3/8" holes. (I had to file the ovals in the seat abck just a bit to get the 3/8" bolts thru, went bigger rather than smaller)

Mount bracket to plate, then assembly to seat.

Cost? $20 for 2 seats (excluding headrests and brackets). Time to install, maybe 30 minutes.

Very solid and while not "engineered" they are very sturdy and I have no qualms about using them.

May look into a source for a solid plate, this was what Bunnings (Oz version of Home Depot) had on-the-shelf in a size that fit. Could trim edges for a more appealing look but as its all hidden this prototype is going in the '68 bench destined for the S GT coupe.

An easy add-on if you are redoing seat covers, and way less cost/hassle than trying to find 69 seats to swap in. Upholstery would probably need to come off to add it to exiting in use seats.

CIMG0642Medium.jpg

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

hmmm.... guess other '68 owners aren't as keen as I was to get headrests... been trying to come up with this fix for a while... much better look IMHO w/sport seats and headrests....

CIMG0648Medium.jpg

Ruppstang

Nice fix. I used the whole 69 seat back on my son's 68 when we did it. I like your idea, too bad you still have to remove the cover. Marty

teamlo

I like the headrest idea as well. I had '69 seats in my last '68 coupe and always liked the look, never mind the added bit of safety. My current '68 has the original low back seats. I might think about adding head rests! My car also did not come with shoulder belts from the factory. I should have added those before I did the headliner I guess. I'm considering the LED tail lights and upgraded head lights as well, all in the interest of safety.

rvrtrash

I have a set of '69 seats I was stripping and painting to use before I had surgery. I want the safety aspect, while still appearing "stock".

Steve

p51

Great thread.

Best (and one of the least expensive) safety additions is headrests. I went with replacing the seat backs (not the whole seat) with '69 seat backs. Bought the seatbacks (used but in vg condition) a few years back for ~$60

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

Yeah I found a set of '69's here for $400, in Sydney. $300 shipping... so for the other 3 cars a workaround to add them, now that the '69 rests and bracket are reproduced, is way cheaper than finding 3 more sets of '69s!
:smile: