• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Anyone know where i can find a retrogauge mini tach for 68 mustang?

jamoaus

Trying to hunt one down for a while..

addc762132fe17a21f4b90736becf44b.jpg

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

robert campbell

Sheryl,
Not a hard job, and removing the steering wheel makes it much easier. Put a towel on the steering column to reduce scratching. On a non-tack car there are basically two plugs if memory serves. The speedo cable is a bit of a bugger. If you pull the electrical connections apart and have your lovely assistant (husband) push on the speedo cable a bit from the engine compartment side you can get enough slack to use a 3/4 open end wrench to loosen the nut and remove the cable.

If this cluster has never been removed there is a "tinerman nut" on the far right where the cluster swoops down to the panel in the middle. It needs a 5/8 socket to loosen it. Of course I have a 1/4 drive 5/8 socket and a tiny two inch long racket just for this crap. You can gain a bit of access by removing the ash tray which requires a short stubby Philips screwdriver to remove the three screws. THIS nut must be REMOVED before you try to remove the cluster to gain access to the wire plugs and speedo.

If this cluster has been removed, more than likely the nut is not there. They seem to be thrown in the trash. I think NPD and other suppliers have a clock with a quartz movement. Nice upgrade and it actually keeps time!!

Good luck and do not get in a hurry!! Tomorrow is another day!!

Rob

franklinair

Rocketman makes the mini tachs & converts the clocks to a quartz movement which is much more reliable.

Instr cluster removal, PITA level#2:
Remove steering wheel and T/S switch arm.
Remove Heater & A/C Control panel
Remove dash ashtray & mounting bracket.
Reaching in through Htr/AC access, disconnect 2 cluster connectors, connector to W/S wiper switch, and speedo cable.
Reach through the ashtray access- there is a nut that secures the Instr panel & center dash panel to the dash. Remove the nut. (5/16" wrench IIRC)
Remove 5 Philips screws from Instr cluster (2 @ bottom, 3@ top)
Remove Instr Cluster, pulling straight back, maybe wiggling a bit. Don't scratch paint on column.
While the cluster is removed, do yourself a BIG favor:
Clean the instrument faces.
Replace instrument lenses.
Paint instrument pointers (Dayglo orange/red)
Replace ALL the bulbs with LED bulbs (I even remove the blue filter caps).
Replace the 6 volt instrument voltage regulator with a solid state unit.
Hope this helps.

Neil

Attachments

• IMG_0366.JPG
    IMG_0366.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0171.jpg
    IMG_0171.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 40

p51

Another suggestion while you've got the instrument cluster removed...
...replace the ammeter gauge with a voltmeter gauge from rocketman.

franklinair

Absolutely. A GREAT suggestion that I overlooked to mention. I did the voltmeter conversion on my Black CS

Neil

Batgirl89

I was admiring the voltmeter also, and would do that.

Ok, but, seeing what is involved. Ill just add this to the wish list...need to focus on making sure it runs well, no melting wires, and just noticed I have 1 glitchy taillight socket:cry: