• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Progress Continues, Lime Gold GT/CS

Russ

This past week has been a good one..... with all the holidays, visiting children and grand children and, of course, progress on my GT/CS. There are twenty-four inches of snow on the ground in Flagstaff so I can't work outside, so the GT/CS is getting some quality attention!

The interior has finally started to come together. I had time to restore and install the deluxe seat belts, the console, the radio, the rear seat and the carpet. Fortunately, all of the electrical items are working perfectly, including the AM radio, which, suprisingly, has a great sound thanks to the new dash speaker. I also had to install a repro turn signal switch in the tilt column and that works great. The front fenders are finished and ready to install.

While I missed my "deadline" of completing the car by year's end, I think it will be ready soon. Thanks for all the encouragement from the GT/CS site members!! It is greatly appreciated. Finally, I've included two "before" photos of the interior for a comparison. Happy New year to everyone!

Russ

Attachments

• Lee-Tate 1a 001.jpg
    Lee-Tate 1a 001.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 71
  • Lee-Tate V 008.jpg
    Lee-Tate V 008.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 83
  • Lee-Tate V 005.jpg
    Lee-Tate V 005.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 79
  • Lee-Tate V 004.jpg
    Lee-Tate V 004.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 80
  • Lee-Tate V 002.jpg
    Lee-Tate V 002.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 82
  • Lee-Tate V 001.jpg
    Lee-Tate V 001.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 86
  • Lee-Tate IV 003.jpg
    Lee-Tate IV 003.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 71

franklinair

Sweeeet!
What black paint did you use on the interior? Looks great.

Neil

OP
OP
Russ

Russ

Neil, It is Krylon Semi Gloss black. It is very durable, has superb covering qualities, and gives a great matt sheen. I also use this product in the engine compartment with excellent results. Russ

Last edited:

sam

boy, you're hard work really shows. I am very impressed. Looks like a great 2010 for you when Spring arrives ! Nice work.

Ersel66

The interior looks great. Amazing that back in the 60's and partially in the 70's a black interior was a rarety. Imagine seeing a red interior or lime green interior in a modern day car now. :smile:

OP
OP
Russ

Russ

The front seats, glove box, radio knobs and the scuff plates went in today, so all I have to do is install the steering wheel. It's finally beginning to look like a car. The black interior with the lime gold exterior really pops! I'm waiting to receive the cancellation cam for the turn signal. This cam is unique to the tilt column. Next, I'm going to install the front fenders and rear bumper. Russ

Attachments

• Lee-Tate VI 011.jpg
    Lee-Tate VI 011.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
Russ

Russ

Front fenders and rear bumper on...it's finally starting to look like a car!

Next is the exhaust system. I've decided to depart from the "totally original" concept, because I can't see having a 302, J Code engine with a single exhaust. I purchased a concours correct dual exhaust that came stock with the "GT" option, and that is what I'm going to install. I'll probably get dinged at the MCA shows, BUT..... oh, well! (Marty, when you judge the car, you already have some point deductions identified!) Russ

Attachments

• Lee-Tate VII 001.jpg
    Lee-Tate VII 001.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Lee-Tate VII 002.jpg
    Lee-Tate VII 002.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 51

franklinair

Russ, I too converted to dual exhaust for my 302. I have found that the aftermarket GT valances do not fit well (end curvertures, overall width). I ended up using my original valance and having the exhaust cutouts from a repro valance spliced on to it. The body shop did an excellent job with the metal work & paint. More costly, but well worth it for appearance sake.

Neil

CougarCJ

Not to drift this thread, :tongue: just a comment.

I had forgotten that J code 302-4V Mustangs came standard with single exhaust systems. For a 1968 Cougar dual exhaust was standard with the J code engine.

Trivia - An F code 302-2V engine was available in a 1968 Mercury Cougar, over 60,000 Cougars had that engine. Kevin Marti lists 2 Mustangs with that engine in his Mustang by the numbers book. Conversely there were over 92,000 1968 Mustangs with T code, 6 cylinder engines. Zero 1968 Cougars received a 6 cylinder engine.

My 1968 302-4V GT/CS will be getting dual exhaust when assembled. My choice of exhaust manifolds will be 1969 351W exhaust manifolds though. :eek: (Poor mans HiPo manifolds)

OP
OP
Russ

Russ

Neil, As you can see by the rear photo of the car, I don't have the "GT" valence with the exhaust cutouts. I decided that I wanted it to look stock from the rear so I'm installing factory-style turndown ends. No chrome tips, no trumpets, no dual GT tips...just a "plain Jane" exhaust. Thanks for the tips on installation. Russ

6t8-390gt

Neil, As you can see by the rear photo of the car, I don't have the "GT" valence with the exhaust cutouts. I decided that I wanted it to look stock from the rear so I'm installing factory-style turndown ends. No chrome tips, no trumpets, no dual GT tips...just a "plain Jane" exhaust. Thanks for the tips on installation. Russ

DEDUCTION, DEDUCTION, DEDUCTION...just kidding. I don't understand why that wasn't standard on the non-GT J-codes. I think that will look great.

Danny

Ruppstang

Front fenders and rear bumper on...it's finally starting to look like a car!

Next is the exhaust system. I've decided to depart from the "totally original" concept, because I can't see having a 302, J Code engine with a single exhaust. I purchased a concours correct dual exhaust that came stock with the "GT" option, and that is what I'm going to install. I'll probably get dinged at the MCA shows, BUT..... oh, well! (Marty, when you judge the car, you already have some point deductions identified!) Russ

Russ I probbly would not deduct any points provided you install a concours correct exhaust system. For some reason the reproduction systems seem to hang a little low. Thats what is on mine I could not afford the 5K for the NOS set up. Your car is looking great I can't wait to judge it. It should be a easy one not too much to write down. Keep the pictures coming. Marty

J_Speegle

Russ I probbly would not deduct any points provided you install a concours correct exhaust system........

Would it be correct without the tips and rear valance? If not the judge IMHO would have to choose to deduct for the lack of the tips and all the GT stuff or for the dual exhaust. IF not it would not be fair to everyone else in the show

Of course we don't currently compare Marti reports to the car so we have to judge them like we see them ;)

Just one opinion and of course you make the choices we only judge them :grin: Be happy with your choices

Ruppstang

Would it be correct without the tips and rear valance? If not the judge IMHO would have to choose to deduct for the lack of the tips and all the GT stuff or for the dual exhaust. IF not it would not be fair to everyone else in the show

Of course we don't currently compare Marti reports to the car so we have to judge them like we see them ;)

Just one opinion and of course you make the choices we only judge them :grin: Be happy with your choices

I guess I did not make that clear. With concours correct exhaust system I assumed correct GT vallance and tips. Thanks Jeff

OP
OP
Russ

Russ

Jeff, As you know, I'm an MCA Certified judge (1967-68 and 1965-66 Shelby), and I believe any deduction would be determined by what class the car is going to be judged. I'll probably enter the car in the "Trailered Concourse" class, though. IMO, the dual exhaust is a deduct, but it would be minor one, and not enough by itself to remove the possibility of earning a Gold award. I think it would be a larger deduction to include all of the GT equipment, although, as you pointed out, MCA judges do not use the Marti report to determine authenticity. While I know you have stressed consistency in MCA judging, it comes down to who is judging the car, which is a completely different topic from this post! Just my thoughts, Russ

OP
OP
Russ

Russ

Another good day...the exhaust went in and everything fit according to the factory manual. I checked the Ford manual and turndown tips were offered with the dual exhaust, and I am pleased with the way the exhaust looks from the rear of the car. I don't have the correct clamps on the turndowns, but will get the proper clamps soon. Here are some undercarriage photos. Russ

Attachments

• Lee-Tate VIII 001.jpg
    Lee-Tate VIII 001.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 68
  • Lee-Tate VIII 002.jpg
    Lee-Tate VIII 002.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 55
  • Lee-Tate VIII 003.jpg
    Lee-Tate VIII 003.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 64
  • Lee-Tate VIII 004.jpg
    Lee-Tate VIII 004.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 58

franklinair

Looks good. I was wondering if you were going to use the transverse muffler. Not the easiest installation, IIRC.

Neil

J_Speegle

..........While I know you have stressed consistency in MCA judging, it comes down to who is judging the car, .....

Guess that is what we are trying to reduce or correct ;)

....which is a completely different topic from this post! Just my thoughts, Russ

Agreed - back to or regular scheduled program :icon_ecst