• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Gold '68 HCS Project on eBay

BroadwayBlue

Is it normal for an engine to age that way? It looks like some kind of water damage to me but the rest of the car doesn't appear to have been through a flood.

69convert

will try to check

I am going to try to take a look at this car if anyone is interested. Unfortunately I have to go out of town for a few days and may not be able to.
The engine bay does look bad.

barry

68MustangHCS

I may look it over too. Believe me I don't need another one, but this one is located in my neck of the woods and maybe worth a look. I think Bob should cross reference that number with the registry VIN IS 8R01C167129, we may now have 151 of 251 HCS' located for the registry. I emailed the guy and suggested he send Teets a copy of his Marti Report for the Registry. Only 100 more to go...

68MustangHCS

I asked for pictures....looks like it's had previous front end damage, no hood twist pins, grille might be wrong, and may need some pedistals...I'd worry about all that rust he is talking about. I HATE RUST!!!!

68gt390

From reading his post and info on this particular car, it may be more suitable as a donor car. Sounds like a lot of work for who ever gets this car.

Don

Mustanglvr

68gt390 said:
From reading his post and info on this particular car, it may be more suitable as a donor car. Sounds like a lot of work for who ever gets this car.

Don

I think it would only be good as a donor car if no one would want to do the work to restore it. That HCS is an incredibly rare car! I`ve seen cars, many from this site that started with alot less. I suppose if it was a donor car, it would`nt exist anymore and then the survivors would be even more rare. I don`t think any GT/CS or HCS should be considered a donor car. I think there is always somebody out there that feels the way I do and would save it. Rust should not mean the end of a cars life. Looking at the car as a whole I think it would definitely be worth fixing the rust and saving it. I`ve seen alot worse. Just my 2 cents.

68gt390

Rhonda;
I can understand your wanting to save this car if possible based on it's being rare. But, from what the seller has posted he has even stated the car looks better than what it actually is. I'm sure there may well be someone out there willing to try and save it. I know when I looked at and bought my CS back in 04, I took several things into consideration:

1. How rare was the car, condition and amount of work required.

2. Was the car a small block or big block.

3. And last but, not least type of drive train.

Based on those factor's is what prompted me to buy my CS. I think had it been a small block with an automatic I would have passed on it based on what I saw had to be done to it. Since purchasing it, there have been additional items corrected way beyond what I initially thought had to be done.
I hope there is someone out there willing to save this car. It will be one more HCS that can be brought back to life.

Don

TheBlkPearl

A restoration will completely strip it anyway - it would be a complete project but can certainly be done. My CS was in worse shape before being brought back to life. Just takes time and $$$$$$$$$$.

ratfink

I have just registered on this great site. I am the owner of this HCS, and yes, it will require a lot of professional work, however, that is my occupation. I bought this car a few months ago with the plan to restore it because of it's rarity. I am currently in the middle of a rottisery resto on a B9 and costs have soared ($4800 oil pans?!). I am convinced that I should probably keep this car and restore it in the future. The car was hit in the front in the early seventies, requiring a hood, grille, and front bumper. that is why there are no hoodpins and the foglights have no pedestals and are mounted in the wrong location. Hood pin brackets are still on the rad support. The grille was also regular '68 and had the horse and corral on it when I bought the car. The engine and bay area have never had any water damage, it simply has never had any type of detailing or cleanup. You know most of these older cars have been sold on a used car lot at some point in their lives, meaning pressure washing under the hood and a krylon rebuild and maybe a nice coat of clear lacquer over the entire engine bay. this car has never had that. Mechanically the 289 and c-4 perform flawlessly, but this car is rusty and definitely not a car to be restored by a novice. I was in hopes that the Marti report would have broken down the HCS numbers, but the deluxe doesn't. If anyone knows the production numbers of Gold/Gold HCS cars, I'd like to know. Thanks for this great site.

ratfink

I have just joined this great site. I am the owner of the Gold HCS. I am now convinced that I should keep and restore this rare car. i am in the middle of a rottiserie resto on another car and costs have soared, that was the reason for advertising this car. The car was hit in the front in the early '70's and received a used hood, bumper and grille. That is why there are no hood locks. The lucas lamps are also wrong in their mounting loacation. the hhod pin brackets are still on the rad support. the engine has never had any kind of water damage, it simply has never been detailed or cleaned. the 289 and c4 run and operate flawlessly, but htis car is rusty and not for the novice restorer. If I can overcome these temporary financial hurdles, i may keep and restore this car. Mustang restoration is my profession. I ws hoping to get a production breakdown on the deluxe Marti report, but no. If anyone knows the numbers on Gold/Gold HCS cars, i would really like to know. Thanks for the great site and support of thes cars.

68gt390

Welcome to the site. In all honesty, your HCS is pretty rare. If memory serves me correctly there were actually 251 68 HCS cars built. As for the breakdown on the actual numbers with particular color and interior I'm sure there is someone here on the site that can furnish you with those numbers. If possible, contact HighCountry Bob to ensure this HCS gets in the registry. Hey Bob you out there.

Just out of curiosity, have we convinced you to keep and restore this HCS? :grin:

Again, welcome to the site.

Don :wink:

ratfink

I am convinced to keep it! I just ended the auction. I promise that it will not become a tag donor or a rebody. I am very excited about the car and will start on it this fall. I am looking forward to corresponding with the members of this site. I will get the Marti report and other info to Bob asap.

68gt390

ratfink said:
I am convinced to keep it! I just ended the auction. I promise that it will not become a tag donor or a rebody. I am very excited about the car and will start on it this fall. I am looking forward to corresponding with the members of this site. I will get the Marti report and other info to Bob asap.

Glad to hear your keeping the car. Another special car saved for future generations to see. Would like to see pic's as your restoration takes place. By the way since your now a member of this site you can establish a gallery in which you can post photo's of the car. There are a lot of folks here to help with any questions you may have regarding anything on these special cars, just ask.

Don :grin:

Mustanglvr

ratfink said:

That`s great news Ratfink!!! I`m so happy you decided to keep it and restore it. I`m glad you found our site. We are a family here and you are most welcome!