• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

'69 Headrests on '68 Seats

Mosesatm

Does anyone have a naked '68 seat frame laying (lying?) around that you could take a photo of and post?

The reason I ask is that I am bought some '69 seats on eBay for $25 with the intention of installing the headrests in my GT/CS. But before I tear apart my newly upholtered seats I want to make sure the swap is possible.

Here is a picture of a '69 seat back with the headrest bracket removed. The bracket bolts into 4 threaded holes in the frame. My concern is whether the '68 seats have the holes and/or the threads in place or if I need to drill the holes.

Thanks for your help or advice you can offer.

Last edited:

somethingspecial

I just had my seats re-upholstered. I chose some excellent doner seats as my originals were broken and shot. My car has factory installed head rests with the twin post design. When we took to old upholstery off, we found the seat backs were drilled/slotted, and the top foam was molded for the headrests, ie. the top of the foam just needed to be torn out if the headrest option was ordered. So, to answer your question, the seat frames should already slotted for your mounts. Hope this helps. Sorry for no picture. Mike

68sunlitgold

Arlie,
the '68 seats do not have the holes or threads for the '69 headrests (I tried to do the same thing), that is why I purchased the complete '69 seats, got a great deal for both, $10.

Doug

somethingspecial

Sorry Arlie, Sounds like I was mistaken. I know the 68' seats are slotted for the twin post 68' headrests. The 69' headrest mounts must be different. Mike

Wild Willie

69 headrests on 68 mustang seats

Help.....? I acquired these 68-69 Mustang/Cougar Seats with headrests hoping I could easily install the head rests on my 68 Mustang seats.

However, it appears from this thread the 68 seats do not have mounting holes in the top frame for the bracket (4 holes and single flat bar up to head rest).

Has anyone drilled and tapped holes into the 69 upper frame? Any chance my upper frames would have mounting holes? Do you recognize where these seats may have actually came out of?

Since these seats frames inside were in bad shape any suggestions on how to best proceed? Can my 68 new seat upholstry fit on the 69 seat?

Please advise...?

Thanks,

Dennis

Attachments

• IMG_6196.jpg
    IMG_6196.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6198.jpg
    IMG_6198.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 35

dpheyes

I have a clean, bare pair of 68 seat backs that I am getting ready to cover this weekend. I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them. I chose to use the TMI Sport Seat headrests. They are the two post kind. The posts aren't quite as far apart as the originals, but I figured out how to cleanly attach the mounting brackets. They will work great and look something like the originals. I had also bought a pair of 69 headrests before I came up with the current plan.

Doug

Ruppstang

We put the 69 head rests on our sons 68. I used the entire 69 seat back, it mates to the 68 bottem and the 68 upholtering fits perfectly. Marty

franklinair

I have a primo set of '69 headrests (single center bar instead of two posts), but I guess I'd need a pair of '69 seatbacks in order to use them. Correct? (Anyone have a pair of '69 seatbacks?)

Neil

dpheyes

As promised, here are some pics. I have mounted the bracket for the TMI Sport Seat headrests, but you should still be able to see what you need. If you need a closeup of something just let me know.

Doug

Attachments

• 066.jpg
    066.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 064.jpg
    064.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 063.jpg
    063.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 061.jpg
    061.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 47
  • 060.jpg
    060.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 059.jpg
    059.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 46

Wild Willie

69 Head rests on 68 seats

Doug, thanks for the close up pictures. it does appear there are differences betwen the 68 in your photos and my 69 upper where by 4 bolt bracket is to mount. I also see a rectangular cutout for the head rest post to come into the seat top. I do not see this rectangular cut out in your 68 seat back.

I do see two holes which could be used for a dual post head rest but I have the single flat bar that moves up and down with in the bracket.

Marty, your idea to use the entire 69 head rest seat back and attach it to the 68 base maybe the easiest was to go.

I also found these tag on the lower half of the seats. one appears to be a part number and a date code. not sure what the SS 8 16 68 means since my car was built in feb 1968 bit not sold till late in the year around august? Is the C9ZB6563100 0 a part numbers? to a mustang, cougar or what year seat?

Attachments

• DSC07095 compressed.JPG
    DSC07095 compressed.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC07097 compressed.JPG
    DSC07097 compressed.JPG
    12.7 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC07098 compressed.JPG
    DSC07098 compressed.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC07100 compressed.JPG
    DSC07100 compressed.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 92
  • DSC07102 compressed.JPG
    DSC07102 compressed.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC07104 compressed.JPG
    DSC07104 compressed.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 25

p51

Re: Marty, your idea to use the entire 69 head rest seat back and attach it to the 68 base maybe the easiest was to go.

I agree. That's also what I did - found '69 seatbacks w/headrests with same color upholstery. The seat backs are an easy swap. And used '69 seatbacks w/headrests are fairly easy to come by as well as being relatively inexpensive.

James