• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Shelby Little Red Confusion

Mosesatm

The Little Red in the Volo museum is really starting to bug me. In Paul's book, and on some websites, Little Red is a red coupe with what looks like a black vinyl top. How or when did it morph itself into a convertible? Were there numerous Little Reds?

joedls

Here's what it says at the Volo Museum website:

"On Aug. 16, 1966, Shelby ordered two prototype GT-500s - a notchback coupe known as "Little Red" and the museum's convertible - to replace his personal driver, a 1966 prototype convertible that Ford confiscated. "

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

So does that mean that the convertible shouldn't be called, "Little Red"?

joedls

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=4;threadid=1978;start=0#msg13134 date=1123105228]
So does that mean that the convertible shouldn't be called, "Little Red"?
[/quote]

The way I read it, only the notchback was called "Little Red".

Mustanger

You guys are right - the original Little Red was a notchback (coupe, hardtop) which was later crushed. The car at Volo is being called "Little Red" (note the quotes) but is not the original Little Red - does it make sense ??? :p ;D

case12

I put a picture of the Volo car in the show gallery....titled "Shelby Show" from a few weeks back. It is NOT "Little Red" that is spoken about in Paul's books or is advertised in 1967. Casey

joedls

[quote author=Mustanger link=board=4;threadid=1978;start=0#msg13137 date=1123109600]
You guys are right - the original Little Red was a notchback (coupe, hardtop) which was later crushed. The car at Volo is being called "Little Red" (note the quotes) but is not the original Little Red - does it make sense ??? :p ;D

[/quote]

The news release from Volo's website doesn't refer to the convertible as "Little Red". It discusses the convertible's connection to "Little Red". Who do you think is calling the convertible "Little Red"? ???

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

I agree with Joe that Volo is not calling the convertible "Little Red". There was a clone of the convertible on eBay a month or so ago and I think the seller said it was a Little Red clone.

I started this string to get it straight in my mind that the only Little Red was the coupe and it looks like we all agree with that.

Mustanger

The uniqueness of the Volo car is that it was a prototype Shelby convertible in '67 for the upcoming '68 year (there were no '67 Shelby convertibles offered to the public) :).

rvrtrash

I've been gone for about a month and am trying to catch up. Did you guys see the "sort of" Green Hornet car in the last "Mustangs and Fords" magazine. The magazine missed an opportunity and didn't mention Little Red, Green Hornet or California Specials. I'm thinking of sending a picture of mine and trying to get some recognition for us.
Steve