• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

GT/CS FAKE? on EBay

deestix

Hi,
I don't own a GT/CS yet, but have been a serious shopper for one for the last few months. I just found this car listed on EBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2420309828&category=6236
It's a pretty car, my favorite color, with a deluxe interior. But four things bother me:
1. Rear panel is argent (like a Shelby), not body color.
2. Hood locks are missing.
3. Grille is a '68, with the pony removed.
4. Maybe most damning, the chassis number is significantly lower than the lowest number (118687) listed in Paul Newitt's book.
I've emailed the owner, asking for proof that it's real. Any others have thoughts on my observations?
Richard

darb

I looked at it, and did a little bit of research:

That is definitly the wrong grill on the front.

The tail light pieces IS wrong, or replaced.

Also, the beauty rings on the headlights are chrome - they should be painted.

There is a wierd valence on the front, it looks almost like a shadow but if you look closely it definitly is something hanging down from there.

The VIN number does decode down to saying it is an actual 302, built in San Jose but that's it.

I would say put it to the real test: Marti - but it seems like it could be real, I mean it was built in San Jose, and the VIN says it should have a 302 in there. Most likely it was in an accident, and he replaced or rebuilt all of the old stuff, and gathered whatever parts he could find.

I wouldn't pay 10,000 for it.

-Brad

kevin

Banned
I think the fog lights are incorrect. They don't look like lucas. I e-mailed the guy, and he is a real jerk. I would be very, very careful in purchasing this car. Incorrect wheels, incorrect fog lights, no hood pins, no hood pin retainers. I let the guy know that it is illegal passing off a replica as real.

Talan423

i wouldn't count this one out so fast. it is possible that it was in a front collision as some time and replaced with wrong parts. i have seen several true gt/cs cars with that color rear panel, some people like that color better. as for the VIN.. if this is a true gt/cs, this could be one of the first few built. i looked it up in the 96 registry and there are two built before that number and the one after it isn't that far off from this VIN.
but without all of the correct front end parts, i wouldn't pay $10,000 for it either!
don't accuse the guy of fraud quite yet, at least until you see a marti report.

later
tom

Jayscal

[quote author=darb link=board=1;threadid=468;start=0#msg2502 date=1056074152]

There is a wierd valence on the front, it looks almost like a shadow but if you look closely it definitly is something hanging down from there.

-Brad
[/quote]

Thats a aftermarket front spoiler, it does look a little out of place, cuz we are so used to seeing the GT/CS without them. They should have been put on at the factory. When you hit about 110 MPH, the rear flip spoiler comes into play. You feel the back end of the car sink down, and the ride actually smoothes out. The problem is, the steering gets a little light. A front spoiler, would balance the car at high speed.

This is a very nice car, but it appears to have many cosmetic GT/CS items missing or modified. Remember, these cars are 35 years old, and have traded hands many times. For an uneducated seller, he truely believes the car is stock, because the guy who sold it to him told him it was stock.

With the help of this website, people can at least find out the facts. And make their own decision, on wether or not to pay the asking price.

kevin

Banned
I never accused the guy of fraud. I just let him know to make sure the car was legit before passing it off as a true 1968 Gt/CS. You would think the seller of a car that he wants more than 10k's would at least be interested in these flaws. Something is fishy.

quicknick

I have to agree with Kevin on this one. I know nothing about diamond rings, but you best bet I would have my ring appraised and learn as much about it as I can before sticking it on ebay for $10,000.
This discussion has popped up on our forum on many instances. The owner should describe the car a little more accurately. Either a documented GT/CS with incorrect parts, or a clone. The owness is on him to provide the buyer with this info, instead of us scrambling to get the correct scoop because the auction is over tomorrow. Thats no way to sell a car, and absolutely no way to buy a car.
This may indeed be a real CS and the owner may be genuine, but I would never buy this car. My confidence is too shaken.

OP
OP
D

deestix

I appreciate all the comments. I've also emailed the seller with questions, but have not gotten a reply yet. Perhaps the most telling comment is this: it's been 4 days since the auction started, and this car has yet to receive a single bid!
I'll keep looking.
Richard