• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

68gt/cs possible purchase

sam45

i would like to prchase a white/red gt/cs that i looked at today-it was a six and now has a near new 390 slightly modified and a non original toploader-almost new-the car is all there -interior and engine bay great-the body needs alittle massaging-not that bad-the manual drum brakes and manual steering nedd an upgrade-are the part available?

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Was this on Ebay recently? Someone put a link to one in the classifieds I think. The parts you talk about aren't hard to come by.

The biggest concern to me would be the 390 install. To swap a 8 cyl engine into a car where a 6 used to be is more complicated than just replacing the engine. The V8 cars had upgraded suspensions, axles, brakes, sway bars, etc. I would definitely check that all this was done properly before I would even consider buying a car like this.

The value of such a swap can be argued both ways (original vs. more fun of the big block) but safety should be the number 1 concern here.

Just my $.02

OP
OP
S

sam45

thank you for your quick answer-the guy that owns it now installed front and rear sway bars and the springs are new-it appears to be a non-posi six banger rear-i dont want to be foolish,but it is a real cs and with some body work has major potential-the winter is coming and the garage is empty ???

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Ask if the axles are 4 lug or 5. If they're 4 lug then he hasn't changed them and you'll need to do so to keep it safe.

Factor in your cost for making the needed upgrades and if it's still a deal then go for it.