• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Great couple of hours with Neil (Franklinair) today

Forsche

Sara and I had the pleasure of meeting and spending a few hours with Neil today. What a pleasure! Neil was in Atlanta and stopped by to take a look at Sara's CS. It was great to chat about the cars. We got some great information and Neil's perspective on what we really have here. This was much appreciated since this is our first mustang and so we really have no perspective as to general condition for a 45 year old car.

Just to show you what neophytes we are, I had not even noticed that our power brake car no longer had the power brake booster on it!! Neil set us straight and we now have one more oddity about this old car. Apparently Walter, the original owner, didn't want to spend the $ for a past repair of the brakes and took the cheap route! We'll now look for the parts and get Sara's power brakes back. Some of you might remember that Walter also likely took the cheap route at some point in the past when he simply capped the h-pipe in the exhaust and ran one pipe and muffler out the back rather than replacing both.

We had a great time, Neil. Thanks for stopping. Look forward to a future visit or perhaps seeing you at a mustang gathering. You meet some great people in this hobby!!

Anyone have a spare brake booster?

Steve

franklinair

Had a nice visit with Steve & Sarah yesterday in Atlanta. Their CS is like a time capsule, a 'survivor' to the Nth degree! I was really impressed with the 45 year old paint. It still has a high gloss on the original paint. And no rust. Odometer reads about 40,000, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's actual/original.

Neil

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 51

Ruppstang

I have not seen a accent stripe that turns down in the back on a GT-CS do you have paint accent stripe listed on your Marti report?
Thanks Marty

OP
OP
F

Forsche

I have not seen a accent stripe that turns down in the back on a GT-CS do you have paint accent stripe listed on your Marti report?
Thanks Marty

No Marty, the accent stripe is not listed on the Marti. The original owner put his own unique, and sometimes strange, touches on this car in quite a few ways. He must have added this later.

steve

franklinair

And there's an additional pin stripe (visible in the 2nd photo) along the fender/door ridge that follows the same course as the 'C' stripe on other models.

Neil

Ruppstang

No Marty, the accent stripe is not listed on the Marti. The original owner put his own unique, and sometimes strange, touches on this car in quite a few ways. He must have added this later.

steve

Thanks for the information. I have see that ending on other 68 coupes and convertibles but not on a GT-CS. Marty

OP
OP
F

Forsche

Neil is a great guy to get to know! You are lucky he is near by.

Here is a long, but extremely helpful posting on taking care of older single stage paint. It could really make a difference in helping your original paint shine! I just spent 3 days on a 35 year old lacquer paint job and it came out really nice.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...w-car-finish-antique-single-stage-paints.html

Have fun with the car!

I agree. And thanks for the information on paint restoration. Very good article!