• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Tilt column door switch location

dalorzo_f

Not GTCS related, but for the EXP. Have an OEM tilt away in, and need to drill for the door switch.

There appears to be a tiny dot/punch mark below the existing switch. Did not measure but maybe 1 - 1/2" down. Is this the correct location to drill?

Anyone got a photo of a door jamb with the two holes in it? Or able to confirm center to center distance between the two?

Last edited:

Ruppstang

That mark is the location for the switch. Be careful not to drill it too big. The correct switch should have a metal base and a black plastic plunger.
Marty

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

Thanks very much for confirming. Looks like the hole should be identical to the one for the courtesy light switch.

Have one which was painted but polished up really nice. Stainless face, black plastic knob. Came with the setup, which was amazingly complete, only missing items were the vacuum hoses to the can. (which I believe goes under the battery tray for a 68?)

Ruppstang

I can not say that they are the same diameter. So I would recommend cutting a hole in a scrap piece of metal to test the fit. Measure twice, cut once!

Yes the vacuum canister is mounted in the apron under the battery tray. If you apron is original there should be a dent to mark the hole.

It takes almost 12 feet of vacuum hose and it should enter the cowl near the top center. I have been waiting 2 years for Jack Brooks of Dead Nuts On to reproduce the vacuum hoses that have the correct white and green stripes for our 68 HCS.

I just got the tilt away system in the 68 GT 350 working last Sunday, It sure is nice for a old man to get in and out.
Marty

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

Thanks Marty.

I test fit the switch into the existing jamb hole for the courtesy lights and it fits pretty good. But will definitely drill a scrap piece first.

I bought Jack's tail panel boards and they are fantastic. A few other times from him too.

Unsure if the system I have works, just hoping for the best. I did disassemble and clean/readjust the tilt mechanism.