• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Trunk sealing Tape

franklinair

I know this has been discussed before: I need to procure tape strips that go on the rear outer edge of the trunk lid.
Color= Gray, Dark? Light?
width= 3/4"?
thickness= 1/8"?
length=?
Need to find material. I can trim to correct dimensions.

Neil

murf104

Neil, I have some of the tape that you can have just by sending a self addressed, stamped envelope to me. The envelope needs to be large enough to hold a strip of foam ten inches long and 3/16" thick. My address is as follows: John Murphy, 309 13th Street, Pawnee Illinois 62558 This applies to all on this board until the roll runs out. Have about 28 feet left now. The material I have is 3/16" thick, just as the original and is a light grey. It is peel and stick which I think duplicates the adhesive of the original. I think the original may have been a bit darker than this, but the original was NOT the charcoal grey that one sees used in most foam products. You will have to cut this to the proper "just a bit more than 7/8" that seems to be the original width, but it is grey and it is 3/16 which I believe to be the proper thickness. Scott Fuller measured his originals and shared the results with me, also mentioning that the foam was not charcoal but "elephant grey". So we all owe Scott a Thank You! His were about 4 7/8 " long but not the exact same length on both sides so the foam used was probably just cut off of a roll. Glad to share this with any of you who are interested, just note in your envelope that you need the Cal Spec foam. I believe this is "closed cell" foam and so firm to the touch, as was the original.

Last edited:
OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Thanks John; I'll get the mail going. What is the ZIP for your address?

Neil

SD GTCS

Here is my original strip. One is 4" long, one is 3-7/8" long. Both are about 13/16" wide

stangfan

I have the tape on one side of the trunk lid, but not the other. Is it possible that the factory did that or should it be on both sides. I'm wondering if only one side taped might be due to the way the lid fit. As it is, the trunk takes on no water, so I'm not wanting to mess with it.

Thanks.

Sarge

Hi John,

Robert Murphy here, my car is being sanded, primed and painted now, am sure I will be needing the tape within a month or so. I'll get an envelope off in the mail to you within a few days.

Regards, and thank you in advance.

Robert

Sarge

Hi John,

Robert Murphy here, my car is being sanded, primed and painted now, am sure I will be needing the tape within a month or so. I'll get an envelope off in the mail to you within a few days.

Regards, and thank you in advance.

Robert

wallace

Trunk Foam Tape

Hi,

Is this adhesive foam tape, soft or medium in hardness.

Wally