• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Broken wire at temperature sending unit

OP
OP
stangfan

stangfan

You need to look at the wiring diagrams and follow the color codes on the wires. There are some small ones in the back of the service manual but the electrical assembly manual is better. Some oil pressure senders use a spade connector.

Thanks. I consulted the manual, and found it a little confusing in that the page that was for Mustang, was referencing idiot lights instead of gauges. I have just sent an email to Scott Drake asking for clarification on the wires by the colour codes. Let's see what they come up with.

Mosesatm

The idiot light is part of the tach option. There is also another light for some other gauge with the tach. Could your harness be for a tach car?

OP
OP
stangfan

stangfan

The wire with the spade end is for the oil pressure sender. To make that harness work for your pertonix you will have to cut off the spade connector and move the elbow from one from the red wire that is sheathed. That is the coil wire. You can put the eyelet on there for the pertonix.

I had another look at the manual, and this comment lines up with the colour coded wires in the schematic. I am just going to wait for Scott Drake to confirm that their colours in fact conform with the original Ford ones and then we'll modify the harness as you have suggested. Phew...this has been confusing for me. Thanks again for your help.

Mosesatm

Here is a ‘69 harness.

Attachments

• 4A156D3F-D4A8-4BA7-B37D-C5127A9E6B47.jpg
    4A156D3F-D4A8-4BA7-B37D-C5127A9E6B47.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
stangfan

stangfan

Here is a ‘69 harness.

Looks like mine, but one of the elbow fittings is a spade fitting. I'm pretty sure that Ruppstang has it right, but I am going to wait for confirmation from Scott Drake that their wire colour coding is the same as Ford originally used.

Ruppstang

Here is a picture of the other type of sender.

Attachments

• 67 oil pressure sender.jpg
    67 oil pressure sender.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 20