• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

For Sale 1968 GT/CS on Phoenix CL

mbsf1970

pretty nice. a little steep on price and I absolutely loathe those bulbous hubcap atrocities!! not so fond of the mudflaps either!!

sam

for that price........I'd think she would be detailed/cleanup up better.

Don

Nice thorough paint job :wink: including Aqua rear shackles :rolleyes:

franklinair

Nice looking-BUT- $40K for a 289, no PS, no PB, no AC.
The rear shackles indicate worn/weak rear springs & shocks, which would lead me to believe the front suspension is also worn out.
I would suspect that the $40K is influenced more by sentimental value rather than condition and market value. (I would start at $20K and negotiate downward from that value. But that's just me.)

Neil

CougarCJ

Appears to be a 4 speed, no smog though. Should have the Marti Report posted.

p51

$40K. Wow!

Considering a 289, numbers matching with 40K original miles (according to the ad) was on ebay last week for $14.5K buy-it-now this $40K seems just a tad expensive. That one was an automatic with not as good paint but otherwise seemed comparable. The difference in price could buy a *really, really* nice paint job.

Having said that, there's one born every minute... just gotta find'em :wink:

BigJim

Could be a case of... "Well dear I did put the car up for sale but no one offered to buy it. Guess we'll just have to keep it."

CougarCJ

Could be a case of... "Well dear I did put the car up for sale but no one offered to buy it. Guess we'll just have to keep it."

Or someone wants to ride the Barrett-Jackson and Russo Steele auction wave from last week.
Ad is posted in Phoenix, car is located in eastern Washington.

Not sure if anyone has been to Scottsdale during B-J week. The local classifieds are packed with old car for sale ads, and the weekly Pavillions car show gets crazy big, with all of the locals posting fat for sale prices on their cars. Lots of money and buyers in town, why not? :smile:

robert campbell

289 two barrel carb. My guess is a 3 speed vice a 4 speed. But I could be wrong. Color combo with the interior is very nice. Like Don said, you gotta love the aqua spring shackles. Kinda makes one wonder about the quality of the paint job if they can't take the time to cover them up. And they are a sure sign of sagging leafs which is common and a quick fix.

Overall a nice looking car from the pics. But not worth $40k and barely half that in todays market.

Rob

Last edited:

68sunlitgold

In the add, it states "This is 968 of 3867 that where Built in San Jose CA 04/1968". Just wondering how he figured that out? I don't think the Marti report states the sequence number our CSs where built (not VIN number)....at least mine does not.

Doug

stangfan

Some folks like to get 'creative' with their ads. He's fishing for the big bucks, so it's rather difficult to take him too seriously. :wink:

CougarCJ

In the add, it states "This is 968 of 3867 that where Built in San Jose CA 04/1968". Just wondering how he figured that out? I don't think the Marti report states the sequence number our CSs where built (not VIN number)....at least mine does not.

Doug

I saw that too. Maybe he found a chalk mark somewhere on the car with the number "968".

Ruppstang

That 968 would be a rotation number and that had nothing to do with how many GTCS's were built.
Marty

azbeneman

Or someone wants to ride the Barrett-Jackson and Russo Steele auction wave from last week.
Ad is posted in Phoenix, car is located in eastern Washington.

Not sure if anyone has been to Scottsdale during B-J week. The local classifieds are packed with old car for sale ads, and the weekly Pavillions car show gets crazy big, with all of the locals posting fat for sale prices on their cars. Lots of money and buyers in town, why not? :smile:

No doubt. I live on the Phoenix area and it is a crazy time of year for those into classic cars. Five auctions going at the same time (about 3000 cars). More than 500 cars for sale at the Pavillons show. The problem for this seller is that timing is everything. The buyers, hype and excitement leaves town quickly after that week. Advertising a car here that is 1500 miles away asking 2x what is worth is a waste of time.

I sold my 66 GT coupe during auction week last month. I had it on Craig's List, took great photos, priced it close to the final sale price and got lots of interest. The cars that were priced too high last month are still for sale. Unfortunately, most of the money has since left town.