• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Finishing one project

franklinair

Finishing up one project, '68 Convertible. Fresh 302, P/S, A/T, rewired front to rear, new interior.

Neil

Attachments

• IMG_0722.jpg
    IMG_0722.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0718.jpg
    IMG_0718.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0725.jpg
    IMG_0725.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0726.jpg
    IMG_0726.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 38

hatchdog

That sure is an attractive interior color combination. And so 60’s :grin:, I like it!

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

This was a very challenging re-do.
I bought it on E-Bay, advertised as a "survivor".
Not even close. The P.O. had installed new wiring (American Autowire?) and completely butchered it. I removed it and gave it away. Replaced the under dash harness with an original (Thanks Marty), new front harness & tail light harness from NPD.
The engine was highly modified: ignition, roller rocker heads (Roush,$1,200), MSD Distributor, Edelbrock 4BBL intake & 600 CFM carb. I gave the engine to my son-in-law (he likes to build performance engines) and told him just to build me a 'stock' 302.
No rust issues, and all the running gear (even the C4 A/T) checked out OK.
For some reason the P.O. removed the heater/ventilation system, and CUT OUT the cowl vents from the inside(no rust existed). I replaced the heater unit (thanks Marty) and installed (welded) new cowl vents.
The interior was ragged, hence the new interior. Luckily the convertible top was OK.

I saved the best for last: The VIN tag was missing (the ONLY legal source for a title). North Carolina requires a DMV inspection for antique cars. I did find 3 VINs (driver door, inner front fender, and the engine block). NONE of them matched. When I gutted the interior I even found an old State Farm Insurance card that had yet another VIN on it. DMV ran a check on all 4 VINs, no reports of stolen vehicles, so they issued a NC VIN and sent me the title using that number. This took 3 months to complete.
So now, I have a resurrected '68 convertible that actually turned out quite nice, but a LOT of work.

Neil

Last edited:

p51

N P
I I
C C
E S !!

V C
E O
R O
Y L !!

:wink:

Congrats on getting it all finished and buttoned up!

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Arlie;
Nope. I'll sell this one. I have another, fully optioned.

Neil