• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Fired up my GT/CS

68MustangHCS

[quote author=hookedtrout link=board=1;threadid=1556;start=30#msg9571 date=1113616789]
[quote author=case12 link=board=1;threadid=1556;start=30#msg9563 date=1113581809]
Do your tail lights and brake lights work, and you are just missing the turn signals (front and back)? Casey
[/quote]

Everything works except the turn signals front and rear including the hazard lights. I put in a new flasher unit, did no good, I still have no turn signals. :'(

Cory
[/quote]

I posted some wiring diagram links that might help you trace your problems. Look in the forum for "Wiring Diagrams"

68gt390

Hook;
That's the best way to go. Swap everything out. I had a 67 Fastback and when I did the breaks I only put in new wheel cylinders in the front. On my way from California to Nebraska I blew out the rear cylinders. I learned a valuable lesson on that trip. Sounds like you've got a plan and that's the main thing. Good luck.

Don ;)

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

Got the right front completely rebuilt. Braking great so it's on to something else.

Hook

Sarge

OK, I got the LED/PCB lights installed, not much of a problem. I had to "adjust" the PCBs so that the "U" shaped LED layouts all were the same. The lights are very bright, and this is a definate improvement!!! It is also kinda cool that the brake lights are sequential and go from inboard to outboard when you press the brake pedal.

One problem: When the ignition key is on, everything works fine. Brakes, turn signals, headlights turned on, etc. When the ignition key is off and I step on the brakes, only the left side brake lights turn on. As electrical is "not my bag", does anyone have a suggestion? It worked with the previous setup, but I also have the "dynamite sticks" which gave it the sequential taillights. I do not really want to cut into the wiring, as it is such an impossibility to find a decent wiring harness that is not three decades old. Suggestions?
Thanks, Robert

case12

Robert - Mine does not have this issue, but I had a stock set up for the GT/CS (no dynamite sticks). I think the instructions were different for Shelbys, or those with dynamite sticks, and required some cutting. A friend of mine with a 68 Shelby convertible just converted his over and I will ask him what he did, but I know he had to do some cutting to take out the dynamite sticks. BTW, I had to do some adjusting of the LED boards also for them to fit (I loosened the nut, twisted the board into the light socket with a socket driver, adjusted the board position, and then tightened the nut). I hope it works out for you. Casey

case12

Robert - another thing you wrote just struck me. The brake lights should not be sequential - I think that is not legal. Only the turn signals should be sequential, and of course when braking and turn signaling then the side signaled would be sequential. Maybe I misread your post? Casey

Sarge

Casey,
You read the post correctly, my brake lights are sequential as well. I think this may be because of the dynamite sticks, but it's funny that it didn't happen before... Must be some kind of "sequential hooked into sequential" problem. Let me know about your friend's answer.
Thanks, Robert

Sarge

OOPS, I need to modify the last post: When I press the brakes, they light up from inboard to outboard, and then stay lit. They do not "cycle thru continuously" like the blinker does.
Robert

case12

Robert, They are not supposed to do that, so I will check with my friend on what he did. The instructions should show what needs to be taken out (mine do), and hopefully it is obvious since the dynamite sticks had to have been added. Also, I called MustangProjects and the guy was really helpful. The instructions say they will provide a retrofit harness at no extra charge. I am sure they would talk you through it - Let them know we on this site are giving them business! I am sorry you are having trouble as I didnt know you had dynamite sticks already installed, and that makes it a little more work to switch over. I still think you will be happy with them once we are done. Casey

case12

Robert, I talked to my friend about how he did it on this Shelby, but I am not sure this will work for you, since maybe the "add-on" dynamite stick is different from Shelby? Anyway, he said it took him some time, but it turned out to be simple:

Leave the ground bypass in place (he said this is an obvious wire), and take the 2 wires coming into the dynamite stick and connect them to the 3 wires coming out of the dynamite stick. He said he just connected them all together and it worked. This is the part I dont get, as I would at least think there is a left/right requirement for doing this. Maybe you can look at your dynamite stick and let me know how many wires in and out you have, and I will ask again.

Also, have you tried the guy at mustangsproject yet? Casey

Sarge

Casey,
I haven't tried either yet. Wedding to go to on Saturday, and helped a friend move on Sunday. I will be on it this weekend though, and also call the folks at Mustang Project tomorrow.
Thanks, Robert

our special

Sarge, I don't know if you've spoken with the folks at Mustang Projects yet, but if you go to their web page mustangproject.com, click on FREE STUFF. When you get to that page, scroll down to How to install Mustang Project LED seqential taillights - shelby-standard 67-68.
When you click on that, scroll down to page 5 and it will explain about hooking up the sequentials on the 67-68 shelby.
The instruction sheet that came with my kit explained this aswell.
Hopefully I explained this clear enough for you to find.

Dave

Sarge

Thanks for the replies. I have printed the manual, and Casey's comments and will look into it this weekend!
Robert

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

Put in the new heater core and took out the rags and floor mats catching the drips and cleaned it all up and put it back together. No drips yet, we will see. I also picked up an NOS rectangular based antenna, I was going to go round but I'm just positive the antenna on it when I bought it was rectangular and for some reason it just needs to be that way again for my own sanity. Installed it and took the car for another spin to pick up Squeak from school. Oh boy, the first graders love it.

Hook

BroadwayBlue

[quote author=case12 link=board=1;threadid=1556;start=45#msg9877 date=1114619395]
Robert - another thing you wrote just struck me. The brake lights should not be sequential - I think that is not legal. Only the turn signals should be sequential, and of course when braking and turn signaling then the side signaled would be sequential. Maybe I misread your post? Casey
[/quote]

I have sequential taillights on my 96 GT from Mustangs Unlimited (Classic Design Concepts) and they work the same way. When I press the brake the inside lights go on first and then go outward.

Speaking of Mustangs Unlimited - have you guys had issues with the CT or GA location? I've been to the CT one for a show and shopping and it was OK. When I ordered the sequential lights the first time they actually sent me the original set that someone returned. (You get credit for the original set if you return them) I got the impression they didn't believe me but they eventually agreed to take them back and exchange them. I've been requesting catalogs the last few years though and haven't received them.

Rich

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

[quote author=hcsstang link=board=1;threadid=1556;start=45#msg10062 date=1115168014]
:D What about the teacher????
[/quote]

Think if I give her a spin Squeak will get straight A's? ;) Well I guess in first grade it would be straight S's.

Hook