• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

J Code engine ID

gt bandit

hello all ,
can anyone help with how to identify a J code engine - I have confirmed the car is original J code , but I am unsure how to verify the Engine details. :tongue:

Mosesatm

gt bandit said:
hello all ,
can anyone help with how to identify a J code engine - I have confirmed the car is original J code , but I am unsure how to verify the Engine details. :tongue:

The VIN should be stamped on the block. I can't remember for sure but I think it is either on the top of the block at the rear or on the bottom near the starter.

6t8-390gt

Arlie is correct a partial VIN is stamped on the block, mine is on the rear top of the block on the drivers side. The engine should also have an aluminum tag bolted on it this was used by mechanics to ID the engine. Casting numbers and date codes are cast into the block, heads, and nearly everything else. The J code heads also have 4V cast into them, it should be visable if you remove the valve cover. Here are some of the casting numbers to look for

BLOCK C80E-6015-A or C8OE-6015-B

HEADS C8OE-6090-J or C8OE-6090-K

INTAKE MANIFOLD C8ZE-9425-A

Hope this helps.

davidathans

this is what your looking for, i once too was looking for the stamp on my engine to see if my numbers matched and someone helped me locate it by this picture

Attachments

• blocknum.jpg
    blocknum.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 116
P

PNewitt

If the block is sitting in it's engine bay, you'll need a small mirror (dare I say--makeup mirror?) to get the numbers, which will look backwards.

It might be a good time to do an engine cleaning while you're at it.

Paul N.

di81977

I recently purchased a 68 HCS w/ a 302 and am trying to determine if it has the original engine.

The engine block pad mentioned above on my car is blank. The date code on the block shows 7F27.

The intake manifold has the correct casting number, per the above post, and a date code of 7M27.

The carb is an autolite, C8ZF with a date code of B7L9

The car was built on June 28, 1968

Any thoughts? Is it unusual for the pad on the engine to be blank?

thanks!

68gt390

di81977 said:
I recently purchased a 68 HCS w/ a 302 and am trying to determine if it has the original engine.

The engine block pad mentioned above on my car is blank. The date code on the block shows 7F27.

The intake manifold has the correct casting number, per the above post, and a date code of 7M27.

The carb is an autolite, C8ZF with a date code of B7L9

The car was built on June 28, 1968

Any thoughts? Is it unusual for the pad on the engine to be blank?

thanks!

You can look for the following: If I'm not mistaken an over the counter "Service block" or replacement will not have a VIN or Casting # on the block. Look for the following stamp on the block "DIF" which stands for Dearborn Iron Foundry. This stamp usually identifies a "Service Block" or replacement. I know any of your FE replacement blocks were done this way but, I'm not sure on the small blocks. Sorry. 7F27 date stamp on the block would be Year: 67 June 27th. With all your other dates are you sure the "7" is not an "8". Also, from what I've been told from several restoration shops in my area, San Jose was notorious for not stamping the VIN on a lot of the blocks.

Don