• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Console for Auto verses Manual

Mustanglvr

Does anybody know exactly what the difference is between the automatic console and top console pad verses the manual? I have the opportunity to get a top console pad, but it is for an automatic. Mine is a manual. Can any of these be changed to accomidate the other?

Mosesatm

Rhonda, judging by these pictures of a manual transmission console I took off eBay I'd say you cannot completely turn a manual transmission console into an automatic console. The manual shifter hole seems to cut too far into the pad so the automatic plate will not fully cover the cut out area. You can still do it but it looks like there will be a 1/2" or so gap between the pad and the plate.

Last edited:

somethingspecial

Console top

Rhonda, the console bottom portions were the same. The only difference is you would have to notch the lower for the manuel. The tops are different. If the lower is perfect on the one you can obtain, it sometimes is good to snag it if the price is right, and keep looking for a manuel top. Make sure the bottom is perfect before you waste you money. they have a tendancy to break or crack on the long flat section that goes under the dash, and around the screw holes which attached to the driveline hump. I have both an auto and a manuel, and the part # on both are the same. Hope this helps, Good luck. Mike

OP
OP
Mustanglvr

Mustanglvr

The thing is, that I have the opportunity to get an automatic top pad only. So it would`nt be a good idea to get the pad and try to change it to manual is what I am hearing, right? I could do that to the lower console part, but not the pad right?

Mosesatm

Mustanglvr said:
The thing is, that I have the opportunity to get an automatic top pad only. So it would`nt be a good idea to get the pad and try to change it to manual is what I am hearing, right? I could do that to the lower console part, but not the pad right?

Rhonda, I just came back on-line to tell you that what I wrote before was incorrect.

Since you are putting an automatic top pad on a manual base you shouldn't have any problems. You will need to cut the pad for the shifter but the manual top plate will cover your cuts and the long slot in the automatic pad. Go for it!

390cs68rcode

from the pics above it looks like the lower console pad would have to be cut. the hole for the manual shifter looks like it is off center to the left. Arlie, are you saying the top plate will hide the cut that has to be made?

Mosesatm

390cs68rcode said:
from the pics above it looks like the lower console pad would have to be cut. the hole for the manual shifter looks like it is off center to the left. Arlie, are you saying the top plate will hide the cut that has to be made?

Yep, all you will see is the top plate so any careful cutting of the pad would be hidden by the plate.