• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

SOLD 1968 GT/CS 289 (mine)

aemoo28

Yes it is time to sell my '68 CS.

Bought her in 2008 from So Cal. 289 C code with power steering, power brakes. Dealer installed a/c (York unit) which is currently removed (and stolen). We've put her back together as an a/c car. Numbers do NOT match. Mileage is unknown.

Currently black with black interior, center console. Originally Pebble Beige (rare color for the CS). Upgraded rear fascia with quad exhaust (cosmetic only).

Problems- needs a heater core and a/c unit, needs fan shroud. Needs new front end, has some leaning with turns. Some rust on underside (see photos) and needs to have passenger rear rail replaced. Driver's door lock just fell out onto the sidewalk, so it needs to be re-hung in there. Oh yes and engine bay needs some TLC. Was going to do this but never got around to it.

2008-New brake lines. Clubpro (Ron) did some work on her to make her driveable from So Cal to Seattle Wa. Can't remember all of the wonderful things Ron did. Porcelain spark plugs. New power steering control valve and hoses. New brake master cylinder, new front brake pads. Rebuilt alternator.

Pertronix upgrade, new power steering setup. Brake light relay switch replaced-see link. Heating problems solved, see link.
Took her engine apart that winter/spring for an extensive workup. See notes below. Extensive engine work; see notes. Complete carb rebuild, not original to car. New water pump. Engine thoroughly flushed by Uncle Rob (great photos).

2010-Complete transmission rebuild ($1700) by local shop in 2010, documented and has a THREE year warranty. New Motorcraft 24F battery. New heat riser tube.

Here is Mike G's info of what we've done to her:

Entire upper end was removed as a result of a blown head gasket. The car
engine showed signs of water and oil mixing as the dipstick showed a chocolate milk type substance. The oil pan was drained and cleaned of residual oil and water mixture. All push rods and lifters were cleaned and inspected for abnormal wear. The cylinder heads were sent to a machine shop for a complete rebuild. The rebuild is detailed in a separate listing.

Cylinder Heads and Exhaust Manifold machine shop services included the following:
New sodium filled exhaust valves, new valve guides, hardened valve seats installed -allows use of unleaded gasoline, complete set of new valve springs and keepers installed, heads checked for flatness and true using a laser inspection tool and of course the customary magnaflux inspection to ensure no cracks in the heads. The exhuast manifolds were fly cut to be absolutely true - this allows the manifolds to be installed without gaskets the same way Ford did on the assembly line.

While apart the cylinders were inspected with the following results being noted:
1) all pistons are stamped 040 indicating that the engine has been rebuilt at least twice with the last bore being 40 thousands over the stock bore. 2) each cylinder wall was inspected and measured at three points for taper. NO taper nor was there any indication of ridges at the top of the cylinders. 3) each cylinder was measured for stroke throw to ensure that no damage had occurred to the connecting rods. All measurements were well within acceptable limits and no variation between cylinders was noted. 4) the cross hatch on the cylinder walls is in good condition with NO signs of oil rings dragging or damage from the engine overheating.

The block has had all water passages flushed by removing the drain ports and reverse flushing the entire block with pressurized water. New water pump designed for an A/C equipped car and new reconditioned radiator has been installed. Car has a new brake light switch and new head lamp circuit switch.

What remains to be done is for either a new heater core to be installed or an after market A/C unit that eliminates the stock heater core.

Here's some links of her history and rebuild that I've posted on this site:
http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9207
http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7674
http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7426
http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7211
http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6748

And the most entertaining story of her existence; pulling her from Calif to Wa State:

http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6662

I have a TON of photos of every inch of this car, including undercarriage. PM me with your email address & I will send them to you.

Amy

Attachments

• Satan in pictures for CS.com 012.jpg
    Satan in pictures for CS.com 012.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 198
  • Satan in pictures for CS.com 002.jpg
    Satan in pictures for CS.com 002.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 203
  • Satan in pictures for CS.com 019.jpg
    Satan in pictures for CS.com 019.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 205
  • Satan in pictures for CS.com 017.jpg
    Satan in pictures for CS.com 017.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 187
  • Port Townsend show June 2009 008.jpg
    Port Townsend show June 2009 008.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 197
  • Port Townsend show June 2009 009.jpg
    Port Townsend show June 2009 009.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 189
  • sm engine bay ID#.jpg
    sm engine bay ID#.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 206
  • 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 162
  • amy's engine 004s.jpg
    amy's engine 004s.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 160
  • Marti Pebble Beige CS.jpg
    Marti Pebble Beige CS.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:

68 special

I thought you two had bonded!!! What did Satan do now? Sell the new one and repair Satan.
Have you really thought this through?

Bret

OP
OP
aemoo28

aemoo28

Yes I have thought about this, and it is time to focus on other areas of my life that need attention. Just don't have the time for it any more.

(Ok, and maybe I might be a little bit pregnant too...)

Last edited:

TheBlkPearl

What the??????????

Congrats you silly girl!! Dang - I just depleted my savings on a 66 Chevy II.
Good luck with all of this.

hookedtrout

All the best from me as well Amy.

There is absolutely nothing and I mean nothing as fun and valuable as your children. I'm down to my last and he's 13 now and I tell you I am really starting to feel serious pain in the fact that he is growing and it won't be long and my best friend will be headed out that door for the last time, off to make his own adventures. It pains me signifigantly to even think about it. I oft times wish I'd had a dozen now when I look back as I've never had anything as much fun as those kids. A dozen would have been fun, might have required a registry to keep them all straight ;-) but I'd have 9 more to go!

Enjoy every second of it, when it's hard and you feel like you may not make it, things will suddenly turn bright and they will simply amaze you.

OP
OP
aemoo28

aemoo28

priced reduced to $17,500

PRICE REDUCED to $17,500.

This is a good strong running car. Many of you have witnessed/been a part of her recovery. And a well documented car with a (now) known history.

Pebble Beige!

admin

Staff member
Administrator
:grin::smile::grin: Congrats!

Sorry to see you sell, but it's certainly understandable. Good luck and again congrats on the baby!

CougarCJ

Having that car named Satan will turn off lots of folks. I would leave it out of any further 'for sale' listings. I'm just say'in.

Congratulations on the baby.

somethingspecial

Yes I have thought about this, and it is time to focus on other areas of my life that need attention. Just don't have the time for it any more.

Wow Amy, I missed that the first time I read the thread. Congratulations on the Baby and Bummer you must sell. Best to you. Mike and Robinette.

DeadStang

Good luck on selling the Mustang... But WOW! I am so excited for you :) and dying for details, even tho it's totally none of my business, lol! I had Madeleine when I was 39 and she's the light of my life (and the pain in my rear on some days, haha). Congrats.

BTW, it's worth ponying up the $50 to put an ad on Cars-On-Line in addition to here. Seems like you get a good international audience there... I sold my '64 Comet Cyclone with an ad in one day (obviously priced it too low!).

TheBlkPearl

I'm thinking

that is a good price - just got to find the right person to buy it. It will happen :)