• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

driving stories

BrandonB

I know this is a little off topic but I was wanting to hear some crazy driving stories that you guys went through growing up. I think theres a bunch of cool ones I know my g/f's dad's stories are fun to hear about his grabber maverick and what not but I never had any yet and having no older brothers/sisters or a dad to hear crazy stories from that just left my mom and he road rage ;D

So tell away if you'd like :D

-BrandonB

rvrtrash

OK, why not. Summer of '77, had to go to Seattle, Wa. from Yakima, Wa. to pick up my girlfriend, about a 160 mile trip over a mountain pass. I don't remember why, but didn't leave until around midnight, in my 72 Mach 1 with the R code HO engine. About 40 miles into the trip, a 73 Mach 1 rolls up next to me and one thing leads to another, and next thing I know, I'm doing 135 mph over the top of Snoqualmie pass. I made the trip in 90 minutes, door to door, if I recall correctly. Is that what you had in mind?
Steve (now in N.Idaho and seldom goes over 100.)

OP
OP
B

BrandonB

Yeah just any crazy race stories or anything that involves crazy kids and muscle cars =)

hookedtrout

Ok here's mine, my brother and I were core drilling about an hour north of Boise Idaho near Mcall. I was 18 at the time and we lived in a town called Sugar City Idaho about a 4-5 hour drive from the work site to home (at 55 mph) this was in 1981. We were working 10 hour days for 10 straight days then we would have a 4 day weekend. We would drive home Wednesday night and then drive back over on Sunday afternoon. We drove across the deserts of Idaho near Sun Valley Idaho to avoid traffic and police so we could fly. I had a 65 mustang at the time and my brother had Plymouth Duster. We would take turns driving over.

It was a Sunday afternoon my turn to drive and we were on a straight stretch near Sun Valley, I was going 120 mph and watching for cops. There was a car coming but I didn't recognize it as looking like a cop car so I stayed on the speed maintaining 120. As it drew near I recognized the body style it was a brand new 1981 5.0 Mustang. And as it got even nearer I noticed it was a brand new Idaho State Police car that did not have the lights on top yet. Now here's where it gets funny. He was going at least 120 equal to our speed so we came up on each other pretty fast and passed. As he went by he must have saw the humor in that he was flying low as were we and he was in a brand new Mustang and we were in an original 65 Mustang as all he did was wave. I'm sure he still tells this story as do I. We figured he must have just been issued the Mustang as it was the first year Idaho used the Mustang as a State Police car and our guess was he was out seeing what it would do on the deserts of Idaho. We never did slow down we just kept on it as we figured he had us if he wanted us.

Cory

Jayscal

Having owned my GT/CS for 19 years, I have many stories. In the late 80's, I lived in Southern California, I would make trips to Las Vegas occasionally. Back then I had the stock 2:79 rear axle ratio, which made late night trips thru the desert a scream. It was 3 AM on the desolated stretch of road through the desert to Vegas. That little flip spoiler on a GT/CS doesn't come into effect till about 110 MPH, after 110 the back end sinks down and the ride smooths out. I had the speedo pegged at 120 for miles, when I noticed headlights in my mirror. Well the headlights were gaining fast, real fast. I thought it was the highway patrol, so I slowed down. Just then, it flew by me in a flash. It was a blur that I figure was doing 150. It was like a jet wash, shook the car. All I can say is that it must have been some exotic, cause it was real fast. After that I slowed down, and took it easy. My car never had any problems the whole trip. On the way home there was an accident that held up both lanes of traffic. My GT/CS idled for 6 hours in traffic to get off at the next rest stop. The temp never got over 210 degrees. My car is a real trooper that never let me down, no matter how hard I punished her. Now that she is retired, she is no longer abused on a daily basis. Oh, and I don't break the speed laws anymore.

66 Dearborn HCS

Mine isn't a Mustang story, but it's still a ponycar. A few years ago I had an'83 Z-28 with a SB 400 in it and 3:73's in the rear. It was done up with special paint and a fiberglass IROC hood and T-tops. She was beautiful and powerful. I was leaving a movie theater after catching a late flick and I get stuck at a stoplight just before an overpass onto the interstate. Well, this kid pulls up next to me in his '98 RS Camaro with vinyl stickers galore and huge gold spoke wheels. The whole gold kit and a small airplane wing mounted on the back. He starts gunning it like he wants to race. I couldn't believe he was being so retarded. All he had to do was look at the badges and know I already had more than he did with his little V6. It was after 1 AM so the streets were basically deserted. The light turned green and he floored it. I let him get halfway through the light before I got on it. Well, I forgot that I had a leak on the right bank exhaust manifold. BROOOOOOWWWWWRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!. I blew by him. I was sitting on the other side of the overpass at the next light before he was halfway across the bridge. He wouldn't look over at me now, as I'm now gunning my motor to egg him on. Brroowwwrr Brrrroowwwwrrrrr. Sounded like a big block with the leak. ;DI was laughing my butt off. The light turned green he looks over and flips me off then exits onto the highway. I'm glad he didn't catch me on the highway, cause all I had was a 3-spd auto and I topped out @ 90MPH. He woulda kicked my butt....but he didn't know that.

About 1982, two friends of mine, on their way to a Reno Mustang show, driving a 351C '70 Mach (concours), and a '65 Fastback, with full roll cage, dual quads on a tweaked 302, were doing something like 125-130 out in the Nevada desert (from San Diego)....And thinking they were going awful fast...were passed by a family in a Volvo like it was nobody's business!

Another friend in Arizona passed a 455 Firebird in his '67 GT-350. Not-too-happy....the Firebird owner, at the next gas station was confused....he didn't know that my friend had a Paxton on his HP/Shelby 289.

Mt fav moment with my GT/CS was in Orange county, driving along side-by-side with a '67 GT-500, with his surfboard strapped on top...downshifting down to third, my 30" glasspacks ablaze...at 75mph on the Golden State Highway! All windows down...thumbs up! on a hot Summer day, 1984! Awesome!

Paul.