• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Steering Wheel Insert

robert campbell

Dudes,
On a 1968 Mustang with a black standard camera case dash, is the insert that goes into the steering wheel black or color coded to a color interior. I am finishing up the Royal Maroon 68 coupe with a dark red/maroon interior. I have tried to paint the insert maroon, but the interior dye does not seem to ever cure. Should it be black??

Hep me out boys and girls!!

Rob

stangfan

Do you mean the running horse badge in the centre? I believe the background of the badge is black, with a chrome edge.

If you mean the pad, it is the same colour as the upholstery.

stangfan

Here's a picture, if it works.

Attachments

• P1000206.jpg
    P1000206.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 33

franklinair

IIRC, the steering wheel, steering wheel pad, and the insert are all the same color.
What color is the steering wheel & pad? (The steering wheel is normally color keyed to the interior color, as well as the pad & insert.
Did the steering wheel get replaced sometime in its past?

Neil

limelyt

Dudes,
On a 1968 Mustang with a black standard camera case dash, is the insert that goes into the steering wheel black or color coded to a color interior. I am finishing up the Royal Maroon 68 coupe with a dark red/maroon interior. I have tried to paint the insert maroon, but the interior dye does not seem to ever cure. Should it be black??

Hep me out boys and girls!!

Rob

Rob

I had painted some white coat hooks on the roof with the black vinyl die in 2005 and to this day the parts are still sticky

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Yup, the pad in the face of the center pad. It is still a bit sticky. Even the pad itself is a bit sticky. Hmmmm.

rob

stangfan

Yup, the pad in the face of the center pad. It is still a bit sticky. Even the pad itself is a bit sticky. Hmmmm.

rob

Rob, the pad on mine was sticky also when I bought it. I restored it a couple of years ago, and I believe the PO had painted it with body paint, as it was closer to the colour of the sheet metal than the upholstery. I cleaned both the pad and the centre with rubbing alcohol, then primed them with the vinyl prep and proceeded to dye them dark red. They have been fine ever since.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Rob, the pad on mine was sticky also when I bought it. I restored it a couple of years ago, and I believe the PO had painted it with body paint, as it was closer to the colour of the sheet metal than the upholstery. I cleaned both the pad and the centre with rubbing alcohol, then primed them with the vinyl prep and proceeded to dye them dark red. They have been fine ever since.

What are the products you used to prep them and dye them?

Rob

franklinair

Vinyl prep & vinyl paint aerosols are both sold by NPD:
C-CPA Vinyl prep & cleaner $20.95
AP-5732R Semi gloss red $13.25
I use the vinyl prep on ALL interior paint work.

Neil

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Thanks Dad!! So on another subject has anyone restored seat belts? These are maroon and a bit dirty and faded.

Rob

Ricky Knapik

Python did my seat belts just a few months ago. It wasn't cheap, but I was missing a lot of stuff. Very pleased with the work. $875 by the time I was done, but again I was missing probably half. I would attach a picture, but this dumb site makes pictures too hard. Would be happy to email to more info if you'd like.

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Ricky,
I post mine on photobucket and then copy a hyperlink to them. Very easy to do. And very large and clear.
Rob