• The intent of this Restoration Reference forum is to provide a collection of technical, accurate details to help others in their restorations. These Reference Articles can include photos, descriptions, diagrams, part numbers, concours rules, etc.

PLEASE ONLY POST VARIFIED INFORMATION. This is a technical forum and the information needs to be as accurate as possible. Please don't post things you've heard second hand or think you remember reading somewhere.

You may reply to an Article, but only if it serves to give more information or clarify a detail in that Article. These should be a presentation of fact more than a discussion. Off-topic responses will be deleted or moved.

Thanks!
  • Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Fog light switch bolts?

franklinair

Here's a photo of the single screw that secures the fog light switch bracket to the bottom of the dash. Don't know how to decipher the size, but the coin reference should give an idea.

Neil

Attachments

• MEGAFILE.jpg
    MEGAFILE.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 57
OP
OP
A

AADaddy

Does your switch mount with one or two of those? The switch I have from NPD has two holes. The bottom of my dash looks like Swiss cheese so it's hard to find two holes that line up.

x-codegtcs

From what I see in my assembly manual, there was one bolt and what looks like a tab that kept it from rotating. It will be interesting to hear from the gurus as a lot of things varied from the manual.

Talan423

Fog switch bolt

I just went out and looked at the fog lamp switch on my GT/CS and see that I also have one of these "Sheet Metal" type bolts holding on my switch. I put a wrench on it to find that it is a 3/8" head. It looks to be the same type bolt that holds on the selenoid and the block to firewall ground starp on the firewall side.
A few years ago I went to a salvage yard and found a burnt up '68 GT. I went to pull the fog switch off but found it was too far gone and burnt.... but kept the mounting bolt in storage... this is a completely different bolt and with a nut. The bolt is 3/8" but not the sheet-metal type screw. I'm not saying this was the original bolt... but is it possible they switched bolts or used a different bolt at the different assembly plants?

Tom

dalorzo_f

The FAM calls out a zinc dichromate bolt and nut, not the screw commonly seen.

My 68 S GT coupe and the GTCS have the tapping screw, both San Jose cars.

dalorzo_f

Here are some shots of the baseplate and how the tab mounts to the dash.

This uses the bolt/nut as called out by the FAM. AFAIK the second hole in the baseplate nearer the switch was not used, at least on the Mustang.