• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Correct AM Radio for 68

1968Cally

Resurrecting an old thread
'68 GTCS with padded stock console....

I just bought a AM/FM Stereo off eBay. It has a weird number (at least to me)
CD8AF-19A241-AB. I say weird as I do not understand the "C" as the first letter. Can only find reference to the number via Google by dropping the "C." It is date stamped Dec 1, 1978. It says Ford on the dial and has the left/right balance slide bar under the push buttons. Cosmetically, it looks almost new

I currently have a Custom Autosound Radio in the car which I hate as it is such a pain to figure out what does what. Guess I am just getting old. I compared the new Ford radio to the original AM radio I have out of the car and it looks like it will fit just fine within the padded bezel of the console. Only issue is the knobs. It looks as though the original long outer knobs I have will fork fine for the bass/treble and front/rear fader. But the long inner knobs for on/off/volume and tuning will be to long for the shafts on the radio. It looks like the inner knobs of a non-console radio will do the trick.

Does anyone have experience with this type of radio in a console car and if so, how did you do the knobs?

Thanks