• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

POR-15 Site

Doug

Great story - I am a also believer in POR-15. I have used it before; most recently in the complete restoration of my 55 Nomad. POR-15 really works. -- Doug

OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

They sent me six large posters today of the ad. They are very nice. We have put a few up in our shop and garage's where we work on our cars.

Paul

cnassif

How does this rate compared to the Eastwood options? Did you really just paint it over the rust or did you do additional prep work?

Doug

When we used it on the Nomad we did the rust repairs and replaced the floor boards. We than used POR 15 over the entire car. I don't know if thats overkill but didn't want to do it again.

OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

First of all, I am not selling POR-15. I just thought it was cool to get asked to be on one of their ad compaigns when we actually just called them to get instruction about how to use product on our new cobra project.

Anyway.. The company says that you can apply product directly on rusty metal, as long as you prep the metal. In other words, clean with a water based degreasor.

On our GT/CS, we media blasted the entire car. For those areas that we not going to get painted (by body color) we painted with POR 15. This included our engine bay, under side, truck floor, interior roof, behind dash, etc. We wanted to get something on the car as quickly as possible so rust would not have a chance to come back after the media blast.

Our next step was to cut out those areas and replace like floor boards and main frame rails. However, we learned a very valuable lesson in that POR 15 does not go away very easy and the welder does not like it. That was a struggle to weld through.

Like I said, I am not selling it, but did think it was a great product and we continue to use it on our new project cars.

Paul