• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

'69 or '70 HCS-GT/CS????

66 Dearborn HCS

I'm planning on picking up a '69-'70 Sportsroof in the next few months as daily driver. If I can't find one, I've thought I'd pick up a coupe and do another what-if car. Anybody wonder what a HCS-GT/CS from these years would've looked like? Any ideas? Shelby front end with the spoiler trunklid and T-bird taillights? If I built a '69 then where would I put the Marchal/Lucas's ;).

Scott W.

68sunlitgold

Scott,
I don't have the issue in front of me but, Mustang Monthly just did a special on the Mach 1. In it they had a pic of what was going to be a '71 (?) Mach 1. It had the 69/70 Shelby front end and a 69 Mach 1 backend. Looked great. I would imagine this could have been a potential CS looking car too! I can scan in a pic if you don't have the issue.
Doug

P

PNewitt

When I lived in San Diego in the '80's, there was this '69 "GT/CS" custom Mustang at a burger joint car show in Santee....

This guy took a '69 Mustang coupe, and put a '69 Convertible Shelby decklid, end caps, and taillight panel--as well as exhaust collector on this car, and then added the rear CS script.

It was "interesting", but something about it looked weird. He painted it white, with red interior. Shelby five spokes, too.

I also knew a guy (I talked him into doing it) in Mira Mesa (SD), to put '65 T-Bird taillights on his '71 coupe. That rear panel is flat, so he filled in the old taillight holes, and cut out for the T-Bird units. It didn't look too bad...kinda neat.

Paul.

OP
OP

66 Dearborn HCS

[quote author=68sunlitgold link=board=1;threadid=776;start=0#msg4306 date=1074728302]
I can scan in a pic if you don't have the issue.
Doug
[/quote]

Please do. Send it to my personal e-mail also, please.

Scott W. ;D

OP
OP

66 Dearborn HCS

[quote author=PNewitt link=board=1;threadid=776;start=0#msg4311 date=1074742532]
It was "interesting", but something about it looked weird.[/quote]

What do you think it was that made it look wierd? The Shelby nose on the coupe body?
I have to admit, I'm not a fan of the last 2 years of the Shelby, or at least the fiberglass snout. It looks too...umm...MoPar? :-\

Scott W. ;D

P

PNewitt

No, it wasn't the front, it was the rear.

I'm used to seeing a rollbar and open top with that type of '69 Shelby rear end--not with a coupe top.

But my reaction ("wierd") was just a quick one--not a judgement.

Overall, it was a cool looking car. Just different looking. But that's what customs are all about, the unusual.

Paul.

P

PNewitt

Since I "saw" that coupe with the '69 Shelby rear end, all I can say is that the proportions look more "squished" than the '68, because (as I see it) the '67-'68 coupe has a longer trunk area from the rear wheels.

You could take a 1/24th model kit of a '69 Shelby and put a coupe top on it (or find a '69-'70 coupe kit).

My personal favorite is the '67 Mach 1 prototype, with a rear hatch added for '68 car shows. It was basically a chopped '67 Fastback. AMT made a model kit of it. It was red, and had those five-spoked "Aztec" wheels on it, and 4 of those '65 GT exhaust tips mounted at the lic. plate spot on the rear bumper.

Paul.

DAR1

Guys,
Wasn't the Shelby de Mexico a '69 coupe with the fiberglass rear spoiler and T-bird tailights? I think they used the standard '69 front-end with bigger (driving) lights in the grill and a different hood with two bumps instead of one. There is a picture in the 'Mustang Forty Years' book. If you were building a custom '69 it might look cool to continue the chrome around the grill down below the bumper in the same way they did on the '68 Shelbys. This creates kind of a big Cobra mouth split by the bumper.....
Dan