• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

'68 C code GT/CS on E-bay

franklinair

Nice looking CS on E-bay: White exterior, red interior. Looks like it was well done. Interior white panels (door metal areas, rear quarter trims, lower dash)not to my taste (& not correct) but easily corrected to the correct red.
Sorry I don't know how to link it, but worth a look.

Neil

RedGTvert

Wow, certain things done right, others done horribly wrong. That interior is terrible.

CougarCJ

I received a repop wood grain dash with my GT/CS. Seeing it in this car, makes me change my mind to stay with the black camera case. Mixing and matching looks out of place.

Those are 1967 window cranks. A second look makes me think that it has 1967 wing windows too. Can anyone else confirm?

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Lotsa things cobbled up, makes you wonder about the overall workmanship/quality. It would require a good 'look-over' to reach a comfort zone with the car. The cosmetic errors wouldn't be TOO difficult to rectify though. Overall, an attractive car, but I see a couple $K to really make it right- IF -the mechanical/structural components checked out OK.

Neil

Mosesatm

Especially since his car will take much work to get it back to stock, and removing the horses from the front fenders isn't going to be cheap.

hookedtrout

That is pretty lame that he would nit pick other cars when his isn't exactly correct, he needs to list his with the issues around his.

Are his fog lights in the grill mounted correct? They look low to me?

Cory

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

From the photos, I counted 15 glitches. Actually, the clone he criticised looked like the better car, and the seller was up front about that fact.
The car, in fact, may be very nice- but the visible discrepancies give cause to worry about other aspects. It would require an 'up close & personal' lookover, and serious price negotiation to consumate the sale/purchase transaction. I don't believe today's market would support the B.I.N. price, especially considering what it would take to make the car 'right'.

Neil (picky-picky-picky) Hoppe:rolleyes:

CALIF GIRL

I don't like to see him slamming the other cars either. His has alot wrong with his. I would also wonder about some of the things he is saying about his car . Such as,he says he had it at the paint shop for 7 months, but his pink slip he posted says he bought it in May 09. Makes me wonder.....The door panels don't look right either.

But if someone is actually interested I don't live all that far away and could possiby look at it for you.

Mosesatm

The door panels are normal deluxe panels but the armrests are standard, and what's with the passenger door handle?

Since the owner opened the door to critiques how about we test our skills?

Neil, let's see your list!

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

1.) Fog lite stancions missing.
2.) Front fenders have 302/Pony emblems- not correct for C/S's.
3.) GT center hubcaps- car is not a GT according to Marti Report.
4.) Incorrect gas cap.
5.)SHACKLES
6.) GT rear valance- but no exhaust pipes/tips installed.
7.) White lower dash, inner door skins, inner quarter tim panels- should be red.
8.) Deluxe door panels' pull straps missing, and incorrect armrests.
9.) Deluxe Interior door grills missing- and would have spkr & lights installed.
10.) 289/302 engine swap.
11.) A/C not working.
12.) Heater not working- photo shows heater hoses bypassing heater core.
13.) Heater vacuum control valve not connected.
14.) Woodgrain panel above glovebox incorrect- shows standard interior's embossing.
15.) Deluxe interior emblem missing from panel.
16.) Interior door handles askew.
17.) 1967 window crank handles installed.
18.) Photo of brake shoe installation- brake shoes installed incorrectly (shoe with shorter lining should be the FRONT shoe).
19.) Inside trunk area not painted white body color.
And I live too far away to see the mechanical items that would have to be looked at.

But it's still a pretty car!

Neil:eek:

Last edited:

CALIF GIRL

17.No windshield washer hoses
18.No wiring for hood turn signals
19.Is it missing the passenger side rocker molding? (hidden by a tumbleweed)
20.talks about what a great paint job it has but inside of trunk is still lime gold
21. 67 wing windows

Last edited:

CougarCJ

You forgot the color change. This was a Lime Frost, ....sorry, Lime Gold car originally.

Since it has been brought up.

If someone does not restore a GT/CS to a #1 or #2 concours level, I'm talking MCA yada yada standard. Basically an amateur, or non-professional restoration.
Does an incorrect engine make any difference? A non-numbers matching 1968 C code 289-2V engine, or a non-numbers matching 1968 J code 302-4V engine. To me, a correct looking 302-4V can be covered up with a different air cleaner lid and sticker. 95 out of 100 people walking by would not catch the deception.
I would have to say that it would not add value to a C code car to me, but would not hurt the value either.

The reason that I am asking, my car is a J code GT/CS. Now I have the skills and ability to do a very high level restoration if I wanted to. But I want to enjoy this car sooner than later, and don't want it to be a trailer queen.

I expect my car to have significant value when I get it finished. Not a #1 or #2 valued car, but a very strong #3. Realistically a #1 car is a restored car that is never driven and was restored with mostly NOS parts and kept strictly original (muffler, battery, hoses, tires, etc).
An honest #2 car is almost as over the top as a #1 car.
A typical street driven car can only achieve a #3 value or a weak #2 at best.

That is why I am not going to worry about any of the rigid originality and 'restored' rules.

Knowing that my Mustang could never be anything better than a #3 car in the future. Basing it on my intended use and current budget, I am going to make some changes. Changes that I hope you all will like. There are a couple that I even hope to sneak past Neil (picky-picky-picky) H. too. :wink:

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

I don't consider myself a C/S expert. Only 3 of the issues I mentioned are peculiar to the C/S. The rest are true for ALL 1968's. I think 2 of the items Marion mentioned (W/S washer hoses & hood light harness) were just not yet installed after paint work, so I did't include those issues.
I'm not a purist, in the true sense of the word, BUT I like to keep my cars 'period or year correct'. (My C/S was originally Lime Gold- now it's Meadowlark Yellow with a black interior, soon to be changed to Black Deluxe. And the door tag will be changed to reflect this new configuration.) I've also added dual exhaust (with correct tips), Shelby wheels, GT valance, Mini Tach, Cruise Control, and console. Does the car match the Marti exactly? No Way!! Is it a well optioned 1968? You Bet!!
I like improvements that may alter originality, but be sure you do it right. These cars are meant to be enjoyed, so enjoy them! The last time I showed a car in an MCA show, they said I should be in the concourse class. I told them they were nuts because I DRIVE this car (I drove it 200 miles to that show). Needless to say I didn't win!!
Blah,Blah,Blah Neil. Say Goodnight.

Neil

Last edited:

CougarCJ

Neil, I have the utmost respect for you and your ability around these cars.

Your posts are articulate, and your knowledge and experience shows through on most all aspects of these Mustangs.

You sir, are darned close to being an expert and don't even know it.

CALIF GIRL

I agree the cars are meant to be driven. I also believe the person who owns the car gets to choose what alterations they wish to make. I inentionally made changes to mine I knew were not 100% correct. I felt it was my car and I was the one that needed to be happy with it.

The only reason I was nitpicking this particular car was his arrogant attitude that I perceived by his ebay ad in which he pretty much said all the other GT/CS's on ebay right now have all these things wrong with them so buy mine instead.

Gregpet

My problem with this guy is that he calls Lime Gold --> Putrid Green. I have no problem with White but if your building a car to sell I don't think White is the intelligent choice. I consider White more of a personal preference color a lot like Lime Gold. If your building a car to sell you paint it red, blue or black.

I'm not impressed with this guys restoration or attitude.

Ps. Not my car but definitely my inspiration!

Attachments

• Desktop GTCS.jpg
    Desktop GTCS.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 29