• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Hood lock retainer screws

dalorzo_f

OK, bags and bags of old parts, can't find the screws (6 I think) for the hood latch retainers that go where the original hood bumpers fit on regular Mustangs.

Part number and AMK reference (if avialable)? I know they are a slightly smaller version of the style of screw used for the splash shields... have a few variants and not sure which is correct.

Pics and dimensions? Think it is a 3/8" or maybe 5/16" hex washer head tapper, AB thread, about 1/2" long...

Last edited:

murf104

Richard, the screws you are asking about are exactly the same as those used on the splash shield.

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

Went back and revisited this as I'm getting ready to put them on... the screws used on the hood retainers are very similar to the splash shiled, but different (at least per Ford docs).

The aprons use a Type "A" coarse thread #14-10, 5/8" long. The retainers a Type "AB" (fine thread) #14-14, 1/2" long....

murf104

Richard, I just checked the retainer mounting screws that I have. Let me begin by saying that when taking the car apart I carefully "bagged and tagged" each item, so I am certain that the screws for the brackets are in fact the screws that I removed over a year ago. Of course no one can be sure that someone in the past had disturbed these parts and put back the wrong parts, but given the nature of the car I question if these had been disturbed. Anyhow, the screws that were there when taken apart were a dead match for the fender apron screws. They all are the same length and when holding them side to side the thread is also the same pitch. They all have a little diamond logo stamped in the head that is visible when the screw is installed. Our car was built on April 03 so maybe they had gone to something they already were using as opposed to something that the engineers on the CS project thought could be used. It is only a guess as to what happened. Just wanted to post one persons experience as to what was found for this bracket. Were yours the ones specified by the drawings or parts list, or the more common fender apron screws? Perhaps others will add to this post so we can see a pattern.

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

As noted the info is " per Ford docs".

Part number as shown on assembly drawings. I have many of both and can't be sure which came off mine...