• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Bought the Elusive One: Pebble Beige GT/CS!!

classicsguy

If you have been wondering what a 1968 Pebble Beige car looks like,look no further,just received the title for my new project 1968 GT/CS in factory Pebble Beige color. Its a project but mainly rust free. It was saved from the crusher by owner who sold it to me. As you can see there is a "NO" written in the glass(Pictured) and that meant DO NOT CRUSH. Maybe it was going to get crushed due to the color.....anyhow I plan on keeping it the original color since I dont think many are left with this rare factory color.From the doors back its all factory paint.

Attachments

• DSCN2170.jpg
    DSCN2170.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 128

teamlo

Nice acquisition there! Do you have any specifics on the car (engine, trans, rear end ratio, options, etc.)? I love the odd color cars!

Terry

OP
OP
C

classicsguy

Thanks Teamlo! Its a C-code 289ci engine with Auto Transmission,power steering ,tinted windows and factory air.I also love the odd color cars....I think thats why I bought it and also realize that color is NOT popular at all, but it came from Ford that way Has the original engine and transmission.

teamlo

In '68, I love the Pebble Beige, the Diamond Blue and the Seafoam Green. Much more appealing to me than red, white, black, or one of the more prevalent blues. To each his own, but I enjoy seeing the odd ones. Mine is Meadowlark Yellow. A fairly popular color when new, but some folks don't care for it. I think it looks fantastic and I wouldn't dream of painting it another "more popular" color. Good luck with your project and keep us all informed on the progress!

Terry

franklinair

ALLRIGHT, Luis!!
Where'd you find it? Looks like a great project. I'm envious. Maybe you should bring it to North Carolina ;)

Neil

Doug

I like the different colors as well -- if I found a pink one I'd buy it for my daughter. And yes I'd drive it.

Best of luck,

obwan93001

That is a great find! Congrats man! I'm w/Terry on the Diamond Blue :wink:. No coincidence seeing mine is Dia Blue heehee. Seeing the pic reminds me of mine, still has (what's left of) the original factory Diamond Blue on it w/alot of primer and some surface rust on it now. Found a local retired guy that has about 30yrs exp w/ground up restos and engine builds that now works out of his home so w/the little to no overhead he offers some really great deals. I've seen some of his work and was way impressed and referred him to my friend who is giving her daugher their son's '66 coupe to drive and took it to him to have it repainted. He quoted them $1500-$2k to remove all the chrome and molding pieces, strip the 5 or so coats of old paint/primer off, do a little bit of body work then repaint w/2 coats of clearcoat I believe. I'm taking my CS to have him give me a quote in the next few days. If he can do the little bit of rust repair, fix a dent in dr's door and paint it for under $3500 I will be very happy. I am going to ask if I can help do some of the work if it helps keep my cost down. I can do most mechanical stuff and have alret rebuilt the entire suspenion and PS system as well as a bunch of other stuff but I am clueless when it comes to paint and bodywork incl rust repairs. The extent of my rust repair has been removing and replacing what was left of the original battery tray with a new repop one from NPD. Glad I have a sealed Optima Red Top battery now :wink:

Congrats on your CS find and you're a good man for saving it from being crushed. I can't even imagine it let alone want to. Some of these wrecking yards don't know what they have or run across sometimes. Hate to think of how many rare cars have been turned into Toyota fenders or Kia hoods over the years. Best of luck w/your new project!

PS: forgot to add that I have a set of orig Ford paint chips for '68 which includes the Diamond Blue so I am hoping to have it matched so I can repaint the original color if at all possible.

Last edited:

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Congrats Luis. Glad you've got something to sink your teeth into now.

I too like the odd colors. How boring would it be if they were all Candy Apple Red?

OP
OP
C

classicsguy

ALLRIGHT, Luis!!
Where'd you find it? Looks like a great project. I'm envious. Maybe you should bring it to North Carolina ;)

Neil

Thanks Neil! I actually knew about this car 5 years ago since owner posted an ad on VMF and on this site. If you go back to Classifieds 5 years ago here you will find it. Car is from Las Vegas and was involved in a front collision but no frame damage. Back then owner backed out from sale. After selling my other GT/CS project I went back to the owner and contacted him about selling the car and if he still had it..he told me that he still had it and if I was interested he might sell it. So a deal was made. Still needs front fenders aprons and radiator support along with grill. Rust is not an issue here so thats what attracted me to car...and the RARE color too! It has black interior.

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Awww.. come on guys! I never said red Mustangs were boring. I said it would be boring if they were ALL red. Now if they were ALL Highland Green, then maybe it would be a different story...:wink:

But I know that you know what I meant. :smile:

Midnight Special

Awww.. come on guys! I never said red Mustangs were boring. I said it would be boring if they were ALL red. Now if they were ALL Highland Green, then maybe it would be a different story...:wink:

But I know that you know what I meant. :smile:

...Yeah, but I was hoping you would let us pick on you a little longer. Those opportunities don't come around very often.

Highland Green?? ...I can live with that!

...Pebble Beige & all the others too ;-)

Attachments

• DSC_0682.jpg
    DSC_0682.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 46

Ruppstang

I bought a 67 convertible last year that is frost turquoise and a spring time sprint. When I first got it I thought it was ugly and thought I would sell it. After having it for a while I pulled off some of the old undercoating and saw what the looked like when it was new and I kind of like it. When my son Craig heard that I was thinking of keeping it he said you aren't going to paint it that color are you? I told him that it was growing on me because it was a rare color and it would be fun to drive a robin egg Mustang on to the show field. Don't get me wrong I have no intention of repainting my two red cars this color but I think it will be fun. Marty

Attachments

• 183.jpg
    183.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 188.jpg
    188.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 68 HCS Restoration 001.JPG
    68 HCS Restoration 001.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 68 Red Fastback00000.jpg
    68 Red Fastback00000.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

hookedtrout

...Yeah, but I was hoping you would let us pick on you a little longer. Those opportunities don't come around very often.

Highland Green?? ...I can live with that!

...Pebble Beige & all the others too ;-)

I don't know Tim, I think you should set a serious goal to get one in every color, you have to be at least half way there.

franklinair

"P.S. I sure like Marty's fastback."

Yea, I'd look good in that car. ;)

As an aside;
Luis, if the beige car has a black interior, I will have some nice pieces available when I complete my Deluxe interior (Instr. bezel, Dash panel, Humphugger, Shifter & bezel, Wheel covers- red centers- one set NOS still in Ford wrappers, one set good daily driver). Let me know if you want/need.

Neil

robert campbell

I just repainted my 1975 Suzuki back to "candy gypsy red" of the era. I bit "orangy" for my taste, but my brother who is half owner likes it!

Rob

DSCN6867.jpg