• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Dresss Up Kit

PFSlim

I think I have posted this before but don't remember the response. I am thinking about buying a engine dress up kit for my GT/CS. However, I want to buy what was original for 1968. We already have a set of valve covers that say "Powered by Ford", a chrome air breather and chrome oil caps. But I want to make sure the kit is period correct.

Paul N. has a picture in one of the books which shows the dress up kits. I thought I saw one picture that had "Cobra - Powered by Ford" and I thought I saw a picture with one that said "CS Shelby" on it.

Does anyone know? I am trying to make it pass through the judges at World of Wheels to make them believe that it was a period correct dress up kit (not aftermarket) that folks would have bought at the Ford dealership. Last year, with the changes we have, they said we have to many non-period correct (or to much chrome) and placed us in the modified division to compete with everyone else that had all chrome.

Paul N., interested in a picture from you if you have available.

Thanks

Paul

Attachments

• Stang478.JPG
    Stang478.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 81

bbeatty

Paul,

You may want check with Branda. They have the correct 68 stuff if IRC.

OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

Thanks Brian. According to a guy we know, the correct valve covers would be the Cobra "Powered by Ford" black with silver fins. The correct Air Breather would be the round chrome for 1968. Anyway, I think that is what I am going to order and it will match one of Paul's pictures from the book. Now, just got to convince the judge at World of Wheels that it is the correct add on for the period instead of an aftermarket add on.

Paul

OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

I decided to buy a set of powder black wrinkled finish "Cobra-Powered by Ford" valve covers and two FoMoCo push on oil caps. As well, I ordered the correct vintage decal for the oil cap. I ordered them through Virginia Classic Mustang.

Hopefully, and using Paul's book, we can push our car into the "original" class at World of Wheels.

Paul

p51

PFSlim said:
I decided to buy a set of powder black wrinkled finish "Cobra-Powered by Ford" valve covers and two FoMoCo push on oil caps. As well, I ordered the correct vintage decal for the oil cap. I ordered them through Virginia Classic Mustang.

Hopefully, and using Paul's book, we can push our car into the "original" class at World of Wheels.

Paul
Does anyone know if other versions of the dress up kit valve covers are period correct? Specifically, the ones that that are black wrinkle with "302 - Powered by Ford". How about other versions of valve covers?

Thx

James

PB GT/CS

James,

The info we got was that in 68, for the C code cars (289s) the correct dress up kit was round chrome air cleaner, black crinkled Cobra, Powered by Ford valve covers, chrome push on oil filler caps, and the correct (I forget which one) radiator cap. For the 302 J code cars it was all of the above, change out the round chrome air cleaner for the oval black crinkle cleaner with Cobra on top. Now, that being said, the earlier Dress Up kits were in the dealerships and probably several 302 cars got the round air cleaners. However, what we understand is that if you bought a late Shelby GT 350 in 68 with the 302, you would get the oval air cleaner.

Brian

Russ

Shelby Dress Up Kit

Here are some original valve covers that were available in 1968 from Shelby American and the Ford dealers. While these valve covers are not made any longer, they can be found on ebay once in a while. Hope this helps,

Russ

Attachments

• Engine.jpg
    Engine.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 140
P

PNewitt

THis is another "short question--long answer" type of things...but I'll do my best.

I don't know what this car show's rules are--but I can provide a couple of photos from my book, and what was what then. Note the date: March 1968 (Hot Rod), to confirm the availability at that time. Although it shows big block stuff, all of the CS Shelby items were available at that time (more like Jan 68).

Back in the spring of '68 you could get:

"COBRA-Powered By Ford" Valve Covers. Black Crinkle. A Ford Dealer item.

"CS SHELBY" valve covers from Shelby Automotive, through your Ford dealer.

The air cleaners available at that time were the carry over '67 type, which was chrome, and round, and fit Galaxies to Fairlanes, etc...to Mustangs. However--with the new Smog requirements for '68, it "violated" the smog parts-on-your-engine thingy, since that air cleaner had no exhaust gas recirculation (hose from the breather cap), and you had to disconnect the vacuum line from the carb plate to the vacuum flapper in the snorkle.

The Oval air cleaners available were the COBRA and CS-SHELBY types, both in black crinkle, with bottom plate and the shorter of the (two) oval paper elements.

What was available then--vs. what was smog legal or not--vs. "if" car shows allow "vintage performance parts", is another matter...

Good Luck!

Paul N.

Attachments

• CShelbyvc.jpg
    CShelbyvc.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 32
  • marchhr.jpg
    marchhr.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 43

p51

PNewitt said:
THis is another "short question--long answer" type of things...but I'll do my best.

I don't know what this car show's rules are--but I can provide a couple of photos from my book, and what was what then. Note the date: March 1968 (Hot Rod), to confirm the availability at that time. Although it shows big block stuff, all of the CS Shelby items were available at that time (more like Jan 68).

Back in the spring of '68 you could get:

"COBRA-Powered By Ford" Valve Covers. Black Crinkle. A Ford Dealer item.

"CS SHELBY" valve covers from Shelby Automotive, through your Ford dealer.
Gee, maybe one could convince the unintiated that the "CS SHELBY" stands for "California Special Shelby" :grin: :teleport:

P

PNewitt

NOW would I suggest that? A hidden "CS" agenda?

Nah!

<<rolling eyes upward in innocence>>

Paul N.

p51

PNewitt said:
<<rolling eyes upward in innocence>>

Paul N.
Paul, you need to catch up with the cutting edge of smilie technology...

.......:rolleyes:

:wink:

p51

PNewitt said:
...The Oval air cleaners available (in 1968) were the COBRA and CS-SHELBY types, both in black crinkle, with bottom plate and the shorter of the (two) oval paper elements....

Paul N.

Paul et al,

Does anyone know where one might be able to get the oval air cleaner with the "CS-SHELBY" logo. I can find reproduction ones with the "COBRA" logo at lots of mustang stores but have yet to see any with the CS-SHELBY logo for sale. Any help would be appreciated.

James

OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

James

I have not ever seen the ones with CS-Shelby on them. I have only seen the oval COBRA logo. Sorry, I can't help.

Paul

szuccaro

Cobra Dress Up Kit

I've had the cobra dress up kit in my car since I bought it in 1981

Attachments

• CobraDressUpKit.jpg
    CobraDressUpKit.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 28