• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Front disc brake kits

Hi, everyone. I have a question that hopefully someone could help me with. I have a "C" coded 289 GT/CS currently with drum brakes all the way around. I want to convert over to disk brakes and am at a loss for where or whom to get them from. I,ve seen a couple of kits on the market, but I'm not sure if they're complete or not. I'm mechanically inclined enough to install them (I work on Airframes/Hydraulics for Hueys and Cobras),I just need to find a COMPLETE kit. Some help would really be appreciated, so I can install them when I get home from Japan.

Jake

Calspecialdreamer

Jake,

You can try www.karmustang.com and check out their stuff. They are a little high, but they have excellent customer service and will step you through any process. Good website too, and I think they discuss the conversion on the site if I remember correctly.....

most kits I have seen have been complete from vendors in Mustang Monthly. Lots out there, just never have used the kit myself. Getting older tho, may need to save the leg strength!

OP
OP
G

Jake
There are many different companies that sell complete change over Kits the one that been a around the longest is http://www.stainlesssteelbrakes.com/ . You have to make a decision on orginality. Most kit's now are based on Granada brakes. Since you are so inclined you may want to make an original switch. The key componets are the spindles with 68 and 69 being Identical. If you can get a donor car it's quick and easy, but mostly likely you will probably buy spindles Used (E-bay) you will want new brake lines and calipers both available from any vendor. Porportining valve(with distribution block) you have a few choices original (e-bay). aftermarket adjustable (lets you go 4-wheel disc later and lets you use existing distrbution block) or vendor stlyle replacement(NPD) which is a 1970-73 style still being sold. and of course the nuts & bolts, dust shields and rotors all availble. Mastercylinder choices orginal booster(ebay), MC any vendor. Pedal(higer pivot point for booster) e-bay or vendor repo. A lot of people now replace with the 70-73 stlye spindle (for larger bearing) but you have tie rod changes as well everything else the same (rotors different for larger bearing).
Restore

Basically, you can get them off any early model mustang, or early 70's granada. If you use granada, you have to have a machine shop make you some sheaths for the outer tie rod ends. I know a guy in NY that has a bunch of old cars and he said he would sell me a front end kit for $100. I never bought one, but that is the best price I have found anywhere. If you want rear disk brakes, the cheapest solution would be off a lincoln Versailes.(or you can spend some more money and convert to IRS out of a 99 mustang cobra) When you switch over, if you go hunting in the salvage yards, here are the parts you will need for the front end:
Power Brake Booster w/ master cylinder( a 94 Geo Metro booster and cylinder will work and is cheaper)
Proportioning valve
Lines, and hoses

Don't let any of the salvage yards rip you off, offer a low ball figure like $50 for the front end components, then they will try to talk you up to like $75 maybe. Don't walk in with anything that you don't plan to spend.(ie, don't use credit cards, checks, or have a bunch of money in your wallet) You have to make them think that they cleared you out of your money, that is when you will get the best deals.

If you have any questions on the conversion, or need any advise or parts, I'd be happy to help you out. E-mail me at mrshelbydallas@hotmail.com