• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Performance out of a 302

miller511

Hi all,

Looking for a little guidance on my (possible) 302 buildup.

For the folks who have done mods to their 302 small blocks-

How might I get around 325-350 HP and 375 ft lbs of torque out of my .030 over 302?

Would a roller cam and rockers, aluminum heads, headers, dual plane intake and a 600cfm carb get me there?

There's soooo much to choose from. I'm just paralyzed at the moment.

Thanks, Jeff

Perkchiro

I went .040 overbore, forged pistons and rods, a comp cam upgrade, aluminum intake, forged aluminum scorpion roller rockers, true double roller timing chain, standard crank, "power heads" and 600 cfm edelbrock carb. I added a new pertronics billet distributor too. I haven't done a dyno on it yet but I can tell you that little buggar moves pretty well. As Joe mentioned, a supercharger would make that 302 into a rocket engine. Good luck and be safe.

68gt390

A 347 stroker kit would due wonders for it also. That would wake that small block up.

Don :grin:

joedls

68gt390 said:
A 347 stroker kit would due wonders for it also. That would wake that small block up.

Don :grin:

I must agree. That's why I'm installing a supercharged 347 in mine. :grin:

OP
OP
miller511

miller511

Joe,

Somehow I just knew you'd suggest a blower!!!

Steve,

Is a true double roller chain one that has two rings of "sprockets"?

And what are Power Heads?

Don,

I've definitely thought long and hard about making a 347 ;-)

Thanks for the input guys.

-Jeff

davidathans

if you want power out of your 302 at .030" overbore, there is one thing i think everyone agrees on and that is you need new cylinder heads...that is a given. Im running AFR 185s i highly recommend them. You will also need a big cam...im running hydraulic roller lifters and .544" intake .560" exhaust with 232 degrees duration at .05" lift intake and 242 exhaust...you should also have 1.6 ratio roller rockers. Get an edlebrock performer rpm intake manifold and at least 600cfm carb, i recommend the 4779C or mdl 4150 which is a 750 double pumper, just make sure you find someone who really knows carbs. Besides that, put in an msd ignition or comparable, headers & exhaust and make sure you have the radiator to cool all that, and the brakes to stop. Also remember your torque converter and trans cooler and then your rear end has to handle all that power...haha i'll stop here. have fun with it! and let us know how it goes....(you dont need a supercharger to make 350hp) but if you put one on there is a good chance you will get 350hp, but you have potential for much more than 350hp...but the cylinder heads is where the HP comes from, invest in your future wisely Air Flow Research 185cc heads...if you have any more questions i've been through it all more than once...go to the gallery page 5 and read the description for my CS and that should at least give you some ideas of what your getting into

Perkchiro

miller511 said:
Joe,

Somehow I just knew you'd suggest a blower!!!

Steve,

Is a true double roller chain one that has two rings of "sprockets"?

And what are Power Heads?

Don,

I've definitely thought long and hard about making a 347 ;-)

Thanks for the input guys.

-Jeff

Check this site for Summit Racing for a description of the True Double Roller Timing Set:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CLO%2D9%2D3135&N=700+4294892074+300333+4294908331+4294925083+4294840126+115&autoview=sku

Also: Check this site for the Power heads info:
http://www.powerheads.com/