• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Deck Lid Nightmare

cannetny

Anyone know of a place that will refurb my decklid? I have the original one for my GT/CS but it is cracked along the top edge and it looks like it is warped. I thought I read years ago about a place in CA that fixes them up. I would hate to buy a repro as it will not be correct.

L8GR868

I had to have my deck lid reglassed where the hinge bolts to the lid and the top center portion of the spoiler (It had a 12 inch crack that went through the spoiler.) I first took it to a body shop that works on Corvetts but they were very high on the repair cost. I then took it to a boat repair shop that specialized in fiberglass repair work, and they repaired it and for less and did a fantastic job. They cut out the cracked areas and reglassed the areas as needed. My deck lid has a small bow in it on the right rear. I left it alone . They also repaired my tail light housing it had small cracks in it.
You might try a boat shop like I did. There is a difference in the fiberglass that is used on our deck lids compared to boats. They had the glass on hand to make my repairs. It is now painted and looks great.

OP
OP
C

cannetny

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into some boat repair places. I live in NY on Long Island so there are a ton of shops like that. If you don't mind me asking, what did they charge you?

L8GR868

I belive that it cost me $175.00. It was money well spent. The deck lid and the tail light panel are much stronger then what the were.
Eric