• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. Block casting numbers

franklinair

Need clarification on block casting numbers.
I have a block (presumably a 302) with the following:
C9OE-6015-C
I thought all blocks had the VIN stamped on the flat area aft of the intake manifold, starting in 1967.
This block has no numbers stamped.
C= 1960's decade
9= 1969
O= Fairlane/Torino, '67 thru '76
E= Engine Group
The 8015-C is a mystery to me, plus being a 1969 casting, shouldn't a stamped VIN appear as well?

Neil

stangfan

My engine is similar in that it does not have the vin on the block. It is a replacement engine with the block number C8AE-6015-B decodes as a 302 block from the Windsor plant used in 1968 for building 289 engines. The number stamped where the vin would normally be is 8K13 76, which decodes as Oct 13/68.

robert campbell

Dad,
This C9OE-C is a 1969-1974, 302 Windsor small-block, 2-bolt mains. The 6015 number is simply the basic part number for the engine block. I feel that there may have been some differences the start of the VIN stamping on the engines. Yours may have slipped through or just wasn't stamped.

Rob

Mosesatm

Ford stopped stamping them at some point. I’m not sure when.

Ruppstang

I agree that it is most likely is a replacement block. I have never have seen a original car that was not stamped. It was a federal mandate.