• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Vinyl Top Installation

GTCS95616

The previous owner of my GT/CS had removed the original vinyl top and painted the roof. Now that I am in the process of repainting the vehicle, I would like to re-install the vinyl top. Was told that the only trim parts that are part of the vinyl top are the metal strips located at the base of the B pillars (which I have).

Does anyone have any additional information about what trim parts are required to install a vinyl top? Does anyone have any tips or instructions regarding a vinyl top installation? I would appreciate any help I can get with this.

Thanks,
Les

billthecougarnut

Drip rail insert

I am not sure if this is pertanant, but my 68 cougar has a chrome (or possibly stainless steel) strip inserted between the drip rail and the roofline of my vinyl top. I was told by a very reputable cougar restoration shop that it usually gets discarded after the vinyl top is removed, and usualy is damaged so bad during a re-vinyl that it doesn't get put back on. You should look into this, as cougars and mustangs have the same blood coursing through their veins, it wouldn't supprise me if this detail was the same.
Lots of luck.
Bill.