• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

What about sequentialflashing tail lights? Would you

still looking for one

So, the GT/CS uses essentially the '65 TBird tail lights, which flash sequentially, like the late 60's Cougars, as we know.

It looks real attention getting (I had a Cougar which drew lots of comments for this feature, which really looks neat when it's working)

Who among you has converted your GTCS/HCS to sequential flashing turn signals,-it would seem a natural conversion for those 65 T Bird tail lights, shouldn't be hard to acquire a "box" for the trunk, and probably would cost you points at a car show (if you got caught!), but I always wondered...

Technically it might be illegal, but what cop would know to enforce it?

I know the Shelby Cobras didnthav sequential lights either, and the GTCS/HCS follows their lead, but heck, the Cougar Eliminators had them and they were plenty macho too.

What about this? Anyone thought about it? Anyone done it? I guess a matter of taste v. originality

I *might* do it (if I got the car!!!:smile: ) Face it, these cars really are distinctive, just to start out!!

ANYONE?

Jim - NorCAL

tworings

Jim - we have the light kit from Mustang Projects, but haven't installed it yet. My husband wasn't especailly impressed with the quality (given the $500 price). Joe installed the kit on his convertable and it did look pretty cool.

My first car was a '69 Cougar - the sequential lights were always going out though.

Mosesatm

You can get the kits from Mustang Project (IMHO M.P. is a real pain in the ass), or NPD, or other suppliers. It's just 6 tail lights and a new flasher to replace the can under the dash. Takes less than 10 minutes. Around $150 to $180 depending on who you buy it from.

I'm use them for the brighter lights, not the sequential feature.

harryz

Mosesatm said:
You can get the kits from Mustang Project (IMHO M.P. is a real pain in the ass), or NPD, or other suppliers. .

Arlie, are all the kits from NPD and others sourced from Mustang Project? Or are there multiple manufacturers out there?

Also, I looked at the Mustang Project Web site, and it looks like the printed circuit board that has all the LEDs is big enough that it will fill the entire "bucket" where the taillight sits and block all the reflective surface. Is this the way it really is? (If so, then I really don't have to use the chrome paint on the reflector surfaces...)

BTW.. I sent email to Mustang Project about this.. no reply...

Mahalo in advance,

Harry Z.

390cs68rcode

I use the Mustang Project ones without the sequential flashing, they flash all at the same time. I have them on my CS and my Cobra Jet. I highly suggest getting them for safety and because they look good. They are VERY bright.

Mosesatm

You get 6 LED light boards that replace your standard bulbs. Each board of lights is probably 2" square or so. The only other part is the flasher. If you go sequential the LEDs must be installed per outer, middle, inner so they flash correctly.

case12

To add to the differing opinions - I have the sequential LED Mustang Project tail lights and love them. The question of the board covering the reflective surface is a good one, but I found it didnt matter because the LEDs are so much brighter, they dont need the reflective surface the old filament bulbs needed. The boards plug right into the light sockets, and the new flasher control plugs right in place of the old flasher can - no wire cutting - just plug and go. Casey

PFSlim

I do not have them. Mine are stock. I would love to be up close to one and see them work. Does anyone have any pictures of the installation??

Paul

joedls

I have installed the sequential LEDs from Mustang Project on both my GT/CS and my 65 convertible. The GT/CS only required the LEDs that installed in the original sockets and the module that replaced the original flasher. The convertible utilized a panel that has the LEDs in a flat housing with the lens and the bezel. This bolts onto the original taillight panel and also utilizes double-sided tape to attach. This prevents any need to modify the original taillight panel. Great instructions with both and very easy to install. I love both products.

Mosesatm

Here are some photos

BTW, the fence keeps the dogs in the garage

Last edited:

68gt390

I also have the sequential tail lights from Mustang Project and have no problems with them. Prior to installing them I almost got rearended twice due to my old lights being very dim at night. With these puppies you can light up the whole night with them. Took me maybe 30 minutes to install. The hardest part was taking out all the screws to remove the lens from the tailight housing.

Don :cool:

P

PNewitt

You mentioned the legality of it all.

There IS a grey area. Not a lot of copies ofthe 1965-68 Calif. Vehicle Code books around, but it IS legal for the T-Birds and Cougars to use the sequential system.

Now--since the Shelby and GT/CS have the same tailights, it doesn't specifically say that you can't go sequential. It's by taillight design, not by car model.

Today....It's one of those things that if the cop doesn't like it, he can cite you; then you have to prove otherwise in court. Also, BTW, I just found out that in Calif. now, a cop doesn't need a decibel meter to "not like" your exhaust sound level. It's purely subjective--on the street. I think that's really unfair!

Paul N.

GTCSMustang

1968 Shelbys used different sequential units than T-birds and Cougars. The Shelbys used an electronic device (see pictures) that was called a dynamite stick (Shelby part number S8MS-13A366-A). Two were required and were spliced into the existing tail light harness with Scotch connectors. For California (where the sequential function was illegal) the dealers added part number S8MS-13L366A to dissable the function of the dynamite sticks. The picture below shows reproduction dynamite sticks that I had made. The trunk area is original stuff.

Scott

Attachments

• Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Slide2.JPG
    Slide2.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 41

PFSlim

Okay. Now you guys have me interested. Let me make sure I have it correct. Price is $150-$180. You remove the tail light lense and plug each light into the socket, then remove and replace the old flashing unit (round one) up under the dash. Is that it? How can you by the ones that are not sequencial? Do you just ask for those instead?? What about heat from the new lights? Is there a problem there??

Does anyone have a picture of the entire setup? Does anyone have a site for Mustang Projects? I am not familar with them.

Paul

case12

PFSlim said:
Okay. Now you guys have me interested. Let me make sure I have it correct. Price is $150-$180. You remove the tail light lense and plug each light into the socket, then remove and replace the old flashing unit (round one) up under the dash. Is that it? How can you by the ones that are not sequencial? Do you just ask for those instead?? What about heat from the new lights? Is there a problem there??

Does anyone have a picture of the entire setup? Does anyone have a site for Mustang Projects? I am not familar with them.

Paul

Paul - Yes, it is that simple. No heat issues. LEDs are very low heat. Personally I like the sequential. I think the others are cheaper and dont require the control unit where the current flasher can is. Casey

390cs68rcode

PFSlim said:

Paul

yes it is that easy.

BroadwayBlue

Mosesatm said:

Arlie,
I don't see that option when you order.
Do we still order the GT/CS light set or the regular Mustang light set?

I don't know if that makes sense but they have a set for GT/CSs and Shelby's and Cougars

"MP-6009 Shelby/California Special/Cougar LED sequential Taillight kit Convert you old incandescent lamps and broken sequential units to brighter more reliable LED sequential operation. The kit is ideally suited for a conversion from standard incandescent"

Is this not what we should order for non sequential?