• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Problems with led lights

mustangman-nl

Hello,

I wanted to put my new ordered led lights into my tailights. Now I have a lot of trouble to get the original bulbs out of the socket (soe of them broke the glas but the rest stay's in the socket). Is there anyone who has an good idea?

Thanks Reiny
The Netherlands

Attachments

• IMG_0308.jpg
    IMG_0308.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 31

miller511

Reiny,

There may be a more civilized way to extract the bulbs. But, since you have already broken bulbs, I would use a pair of long needle-nose pliers and bend the edge of the remaining bulb base to give something for the pliers to grab to . Then push down to relieve pressure on the bayonet "pins" and turn it out counter-clockwise. Problem with these are that they do get corroded and crusty, which make it difficult to get them out. (I think many things that are nearly 40 years old start to get corroded and crusty...I know my kids tell me that I'm corroded and crusty all the time ;-)

Good luck, Jeff

franklinair

I've used the same method, but I sprayed the socket with penetrating oil first to help lubricate the corrosion.

Perkchiro

When I rebuilt my tail light panel, I replaced by bulbs and used a "bulb grease" to lubricate each base. I bought it at O'Reillys and I think it will stop the corrosion issue in the long haul. Time will tell.

rvrtrash

I use needle nose pliers also and have even on occasion had to twist the base hard enough that it tore the bulb base. If you keep winding it up around the pliers, the base will eventually pull out.

Steve

BroadwayBlue

this should get a chuckle ...

I remember reading once where a tip to remove a broken bulb was to cut a potato in half and push the inside part of the potato against the broken bulb and turn it. I think that was for regular lightbulbs but it could work here!!!

I'm guessing maybe they were concerned about electrocution on an electric light bulb and didn't want to recommend sticking a plier in there!