• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Headlight Bucket Help

nfrntau

Started the dissassembly phase of my restoration. Can anyone tell me how to take the headlight buckets off my car without messing them up? As best as I can tell I have removed all attaching hardware except one nut accessed from the wheelwell way up in the corner closest to the hood. I don't see how I could get a wrench on it.
For the record I have put two of the removed ones back to help support the piece.
Am I on the wrong track?
Any help would be appreciated.

Russ

The headlamp bucket is held to the fender with three nuts attached to studs on the bucket. It is easiest to remove the entire fender and then take the bucket off. After removing the fender, you need to remove the splash shield, which is held on by three hex bolts. Once the splash shield is off, you can see the three nuts holding the headlamp bucket. You will need at least a 12" extension with a 1/2" socket to remove the nuts. Using a 3/8" drive ratchet works best. A rubber gasket goes between the fender and the bucket, and this may cause the bucket to stick to the fender. Be careful once the three nuts have been removed, and don't let the bucket drop on the ground. The bucket is made of pot metal and can crack/break if it is not removed carefully.

Hope this helps,
Russ

OP
OP
nfrntau

nfrntau

Wtih your help the buckets came off without a hitch. There were no gaskets between the headlight buckets and the fenders. Likewise there were no gaskets/seals between the quarter panels and end caps. Should I have gaskets and if so does anyone make them?

Russ

The rubber gaskets are original for the bucket and end caps. They are sold by NPD and are very cheap. I'm glad you had good luck removing the buckets.

Russ

Russ

Just a quick note....the fender extension seals are used on die cast, pot metal items only, so the rear caps on a GT/CS or HCS do not use the seals. I knew my GT/CS friends would catch this omission. The NPD part number for the seals is 13044-1A. Hope this helps,

Russ

OP
OP
nfrntau

nfrntau

Russ,
I will add that to my very impressive parts needed list. I will be soooo happy to have this list behind me (or underneath me for that matter)
Thanks Again
Bill