• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Seat belt installation

retroman99

I'm in the final stage!! I had my belts restored and believe I got all the correct installation hardware but need some help on the front seat belts. not sure which belt in the picture is the shoulder belt is it the short one or the long one in the picture? I also need to understand what washers are used and where? do I have all the correct spacers and washers? the black rubber spacers. the book seems to imply that the lap belt goes below the shoulder belt or closest to the carpet when installed. any pictures would be a great help I attached a scan of the diagram in the shop manual. does anybody know where to find out what the part number 612A56 spacer is. it does not look like the black rubber washers are used in this location so I done know where they go

Attachments

• DSCF1867.jpg
    DSCF1867.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCF1868.jpg
    DSCF1868.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 40
  • seat belt bolts Standard e-mail view.jpg
    seat belt bolts Standard e-mail view.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

dalorzo_f

On my '68 with the OEM style "2 belt" setup I used the shorter buckle for the shoulder, and on top. On most originals I have seen the small stippled metal washer goes against the body, the rest has been variable.

I think the large washer goes on next, then the belts (or it could be a spacer between them on the trans tunnel to keep them from rattling). The rubber or hard washer goes on top.

On mine I thought the upper bolt was a 3/8-16 thread, not the 7/16-20. It was as shorter bolt (trans was about 2" long, the upper about 1 1/2" long). So I'd think the shorter goes on the top, even if it looks like a 7/16-20 in the pic...

HTH, a bit of a guess... as the install info is not really clear and the new kits don't match the FAM.

OP
OP
R

retroman99

On my '68 with the OEM style "2 belt" setup I used the shorter buckle for the shoulder, and on top. On most originals I have seen the small stippled metal washer goes against the body, the rest has been variable.

I think the large washer goes on next, then the belts (or it could be a spacer between them on the trans tunnel to keep them from rattling). The rubber or hard washer goes on top.

On mine I thought the upper bolt was a 3/8-16 thread, not the 7/16-20. It was as shorter bolt (trans was about 2" long, the upper about 1 1/2" long). So I'd think the shorter goes on the top, even if it looks like a 7/16-20 in the pic...

HTH, a bit of a guess... as the install info is not really clear and the new kits don't match the FAM.
thank you I think I'm going with your recommendation I need to stop being so anal retentive but trying to make it as correct as I can regardless of who might notice silly washers on the seat belts.