• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

A/C Vacuum Can Issues

darb

Well, I've tried...and tried..and tried again to get my old bucket of a Vacuum Can to hold. It started leaking and made an awful hissing noise so I plastered it with silicone and such which held nicely for..oh..a week. Then the air stopped coming out of the vents and down onto the floor, so I pulled it out and found another leaky spot...which..I filled.

Well you get the picture, I think I've layered on the gunk so think I can't put anymore on it, but it still decides to leak!

Does anyone have any good repair ideas regarding this? Or should I just dish out the $70 for a new one?

Thank for the help,

Brad

mmillstx

Brad,

Being an owner of an air conditioning company, I could probably help here. About the only substace that will keep an air tight seal is a product called mastic. It is also called 181 (the UL code number), hardcast, or pookie. You might be able to find it at a local hardware store. The best fix would be to line it with some aluninum sided a/c tape and then put the mastic over the top. This is done with a cheap disposable paint brush. The mastic (or hardcast) looks like white plaster, but will set up very hard and air tight.

That being said, is it worth the time, expense, and effort? Probably not. That is your call. Hope that my rambling has shed some light or helped in some small way.

Mike

68sunlitgold

Brad,
I would go with a new one, or you could try ebay but you could be right where you started with a used/original one.
Doug