• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 More Progress on My Lime Gold GT/CS

Russ

Since my last post, I've made some progress on my car. I wanted to complete the car by the end of November, but I didn't make that deadline. The motor is ready to start and I had a great day today when I checked out the electrical system...everything worked! The hood is going on tomorrow and I'm going to work on the deluxe seat belts to get them installed. I found a decent console that I need to restore (I need the seat belt cups if anyone has a couple of extras laying around) and that goes in next. The seats have already been upholstered, so this project should be completed by the first of the year.

I read Jeff's comment about purchasing a car already restored vs. an unrestored one, and he is totally correct. This car had some sentimental value, but it sure has been a MAJOR project!

Attachments

• Lee-Tate photos 001.jpg
    Lee-Tate photos 001.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 103
  • Lee-Tate photos 003.jpg
    Lee-Tate photos 003.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 99
  • Lee-Tate photos 005.jpg
    Lee-Tate photos 005.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 108
  • Lee-Tate photos 010.jpg
    Lee-Tate photos 010.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 97
  • Lee-Tate photos 011.jpg
    Lee-Tate photos 011.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 98
  • Lee-Tate photos 012.jpg
    Lee-Tate photos 012.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 104

Powell

Russ, Wow what a wonderful job you've done. I agree with the idea to buy a finished car, but with your obvious skills and dedication to detail there will be none like it. Even though it is a HUGE project The results will be second to none. I can't wait to see the finished project.

Ralph

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Wow! That looks fantastic! Nice job Russ.

Ohhhh...Tilt steering...***drool***

6t8-390gt

Russ,
The car looks great! I had one of the tubing companies reproduce the correct choke stove tubes for my J-code rebuild. I think I posted the info on which company did it for me. Just posting since I noticed your engine didn't have one yet. I also had the correct valve cover decal reproduced.

What are your plans for the car...driver or show car? Keep the pictures coming everyone enjoys pictures. What inspection stamp did you use on the cowl?

Danny

CougarCJ

Nice work Russ.

I looked up your Marti report, I was curious if this car was an original J code with disc brakes and A/C, which it is. I noticed that the original selling dealer was McCoy Mills Ford, they are still in business. If you need dealer frames, I could find them for you.

Ruppstang

Very nice work! It's hard to find a car for sale that nicely detailed and if you do expect to pay big bucks for it. Keep the pictures coming. Marty MCA 38812

franklinair

Inspirational!! Nicer than mine. Now I'll have to regroup and bring mine up to your standard!

Neil

OP
OP
Russ

Russ

Russ,
The car looks great! I had one of the tubing companies reproduce the correct choke stove tubes for my J-code rebuild. I think I posted the info on which company did it for me. Just posting since I noticed your engine didn't have one yet. I also had the correct valve cover decal reproduced.

What are your plans for the car...driver or show car? Keep the pictures coming everyone enjoys pictures. What inspection stamp did you use on the cowl?

Danny

Thanks for the compliment!

Pony Carburetors has this stove tube, and they did a fantastic job on my carburetor! I plan to show this car along with my highland green GT/CS, but I will also drive it (why have a car you can't drive). I believe the valve cover decal is correct (pn: C8AE 9C 485-B) and I've used the paint ID marking from the end of February to the first part of March. Tha paint markings are in yellow.

Attachments

• Lee-Tate II 003.jpg
    Lee-Tate II 003.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
OP
OP
Russ

Russ

Nice work Russ.

I looked up your Marti report, I was curious if this car was an original J code with disc brakes and A/C, which it is. I noticed that the original selling dealer was McCoy Mills Ford, they are still in business. If you need dealer frames, I could find them for you.

Even though the car was in rough shape, it had quite a few nice options, and that's one reason I wanted to restore it back to its former "glory". The car had some of its original fiberglass, which was a real plus.

Interestingly enough, I stopped in at McCoy & Mills Ford three weeks ago in an attempt to find out more information about the car, but unfortunately they had no information going back that far. The finance manager for the dealer did ask me if the car was for sale though!! I have a set of the license frames that will go on the car with its special license.

Attachments

• Lee-Tate II 001.jpg
    Lee-Tate II 001.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Lee-Tate photos 014.jpg
    Lee-Tate photos 014.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 53

J_Speegle

............ and I've used the paint ID marking from the end of February to the first part of March. Tha paint markings are in yellow.

Russ is that the paint inspector mark you found on the car?

Thanks

OP
OP
Russ

Russ

Russ is that the paint inspector mark you found on the car?

Thanks

Jeff, Yes it was on the car. I had to reproduce the stamp pad to make this mark, but this number and letter were found on the passenger side of the firewall. Also, I found inspector stamps (Letter and number) on the innner portion of the head light buckets. I'm trying to be "correct" and not overuse the markings. I found an original driveshaft from a 1968 Mustang that has a white, pink and green stripe and I'll probably replace these stripes, but since this car had no driveshaft when I got it, I'm not sure if these stripes are "correct" for the car.

I also have an original 1968 GT (built on Feb 20, 1968), that has the exact style of paint mark as this car (built on March 7, 1968), BUT the marks are on the fender and under the hood. You have said previously you have found four types of paint inspector marks, and these are apparently one "edition" of the marks for cars built in Feb/Mar '68.
Russ

Last edited:

J_Speegle

Jeff, Yes it was on the car. I had to reproduce the stamp pad to make this mark, but this number and letter were found on the passenger side of the firewall. Also, I found inspector stamps (Letter and number) on the innner portion of the head light buckets.

Thanks - yours must be one of the last ones with that sequence I would think based on what we've seen so far

I'm trying to be "correct" and not overuse the markings. I found an original driveshaft from a 1968 Mustang that has a white, pink and green stripe and I'll probably replace these stripes, but since this car had no driveshaft when I got it, I'm not sure if these stripes are "correct" for the car.

We;; we could check since the buildsheets spell out the driveline colors clearly (well in a code but at least they are there ;)

Just would have to match up how your car was equipped and when it was built - opps we already kind of know that

I also have an original 1968 GT (built on Feb 20, 1968), that has the exact style of paint mark as this car (built on March 7, 1968), BUT the marks are on the fender and under the hood. You have said previously you have found four types of paint inspector marks, and these are apparently one "edition" of the marks for cars built in Feb/Mar '68.

By "style" I'm guessing your referring to the P-inspector number. Yes one of a number that was used during different periods and overlapping some - during the production year. The P's started part way through 67 production at San Jose and were eventually replaced by the use of the inspectors last name (with one or two exception - due to the length of the guys name)

limelyt

Russ

the Deluxe dash you installed, was it the Scott Drake repo? I was wondering as I have just finished working on the second car with the Deluxe interior and at Scott Drake they just silcone on the wood panel. I have had it let go during a hot day at a car show and fall on the floor. The second time we removed the wood panel (very easy, as the silcone does not stick to the back) sanded down the chrome to the plastic and also sanded down the back of the wood panel and re-silconed it back. 2 years now and everything is holding fine.

Just my 2 cents

Gary

OP
OP
Russ

Russ

Gary, The dash in this car is just the standard camera case black (I wish it had the deluxe interior as it looks so good). I purchased the interior items over three years ago, and really don't remember who made the items. Russ

OP
OP
Russ

Russ

Russ

the Deluxe dash you installed, was it the Scott Drake repo? I was wondering as I have just finished working on the second car with the Deluxe interior and at Scott Drake they just silcone on the wood panel. I have had it let go during a hot day at a car show and fall on the floor. The second time we removed the wood panel (very easy, as the silcone does not stick to the back) sanded down the chrome to the plastic and also sanded down the back of the wood panel and re-silconed it back. 2 years now and everything is holding fine.

Just my 2 cents

Gary

Gary, Permatex makes a product call Weatherstrip Sealant for installing weather stripping. Its yellow and holds like iron! I used it on my weather stripping around the doors and trunk, and it's GREAT! Maybe you can use this on the woodgrain dash panel. Just a thought, Russ

franklinair

Russ;
I hope the yellow weather strip glue doesn't show anywhere. IIRC, it's supposed to be black (and you know how picky those MCA judges can be!!).

Neil