• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Wanna add original-type headrests?

P

PNewitt

IF you would like to install original-type headrests on your GT/CS, here is some information that may help you find the parts to do it.

First of all, you "should be able to" use any headrest from the following 1968 Fords and Mercs: Mustang, Cougar, Thunderbird, Continental Mk. III, Comet, Montego, Fairlane, Torino, Falcon, (big car) Ford, and (big car) Mercury. The latter two are from the full-width seat. The headrest basic part number is: 611A08

(Note--the spacing may vary between the rods on head rests for different '68 models, perhaps someone here can comfirm/deny whether "all" head rests are exactly the same for all '68 Fords listed, and the spacing between the rods are the same, too. I can't see why not, but this should be checked out).

Inside the seat, there is a metal cross piece that already has four oval holes in it that will allow you to attach the bracket (see # 610B10 on diagram). Two of these are used for each seat. The part numbers are: C8ZZ-65610B10 (R.H.), and C8ZZ-65610B11 (L.H.). These parts were used on '68 Mustangs, T-Birds and Broncos (and presumably Cougars, too).

To guide the rods from the headrest, there is a "Front Seat Head Rest Guide Rod", part number : C8AZ-63610A16-A. This same part (two requires per seat) was used on: (big car) Fords, Fairlane/Torino, Falcon, Mustang (Cougar), and T-Bird. This part is 1 13/32" long, with a flange at the top, as shown in the diagram.

Based on this diagram, if you see a headrest assembly in a junkyard, in a Mustang, Cougar, Thunderbird, Continental Mk. III, you should go get it.

What would be great for everyone is if a (licensed) reproduction company that makes Mustang parts could make these as kits for owners.

-Paul N.

p.s. any photos of these installed, and/or the parts would be appreciated.

Attachments

• headrest.jpg
    headrest.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 117

Trap68

Paul,

You must have pyschic powers or something...just got my headrests (from a 68 cougar) and have been searching for installation instructions and voila, your post appears. If I need help on other matters I'll be sure to send some brain waves your way!
I'll go ahead an take some quick pics of the parts for you and upload them to this thread.

Cheers!
Rick

somethingspecial

Tube Wrench

Be CAREFUL when you find the head rests in an old car. The Chrome trim tube that runs down into the seat back, Not the Chrome shaft attached to the head rest, but the tube it slides into is plastic. It threads onto the mounting/adjustment hardware bolted into the seat. If you try to unscrew it with your hands, you will more than likely twist this piece in two and then you are screwed. Cant find a replacement very easy. Squirt some penetrating oil down the tube and let it sit for a few minutes. You MUST make a tool to remove it, which is very easy. The tube has an inside hex socket, so I took a 5/8 inch hex head bolt and welded it to a shaft to reach down into the tube. You can put a T handle on it if you wish, but I just used a pair of Vise Grips to turn the wrench. Don't force it if it doesn't want to move, They will rust in place, more oil and take your time. If you have any questions about this, Feel free to PM me for further details. Mike

rvrtrash

PNewitt said:
First of all, you "should be able to" use any headrest from the following 1968 Fords and Mercs: Mustang, Cougar, Thunderbird, Continental Mk. III, Comet, Montego, Fairlane, Torino, Falcon, (big car) Ford, and (big car) Mercury. The latter two are from the full-width seat. The headrest basic part number is: 611A08

(Note--the spacing may vary between the rods on head rests for different '68 models, perhaps someone here can comfirm/deny whether "all" head rests are exactly the same for all '68 Fords listed, and the spacing between the rods are the same, too. I can't see why not, but this should be checked out).

-Paul N.

FYI, I measured my headrests for 1969 Mustang, Fairlane and XL. They are 11.5" wide. The headrest for a 1969 Fairlane bench seat is 13.5" wide. I would imagine it would be the same for 1968, although I can't confirm it.
Steve

C160223

rvrtrash said:
FYI, I measured my headrests for 1969 Mustang, Fairlane and XL. They are 11.5" wide. The headrest for a 1969 Fairlane bench seat is 13.5" wide. I would imagine it would be the same for 1968, although I can't confirm it.
Steve

the headrest for 69 are different. The 68's used a dual post headrest and the 69's went to a single flat bar in the center.

rvrtrash

I was aware of that. Sorry if I mislead anyone. I was merely trying to point out that a bench seat headrest might be wider than a bucket seat headrest and to measure before you bought the wrong thing.

Steve

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

I appreciate your input, Steve.....and yes, there might have been a trend in head rests widths from '68 to '69.

All things considered, they most likely used the same size head rests for the big car fords (Galaxie, LTD), and the Mustang, Fairlane, etc.

So--anyone out there with an original '68 Galaxie, Lincoln Continental, etc. that can measure the spacing between the posts, and the overall (outside) width of the factory type head rests?

Just don't freak out any owners of a '68 Galaxie you happen to spot on the freeway, by yelling: "Hey, Lady, can I measure your head rests?" LOL!!

Paul N.

rvrtrash

I picked up a pair of 68 Fairlane buckets today with the dual post headrests, so I'm bringing this post back up. The headrests measure 13.5" at the widest point, the same as the '69 bench seat headrests. The posts are 9" apart, center to center. Does anyone have the measurements of '68 Mustang headrests? I placed these against my '68 seats, and I think they would look out of place, because of the curve of the seat top.

Steve

CougarCJ

I never saw this post before today.

Thunderbird and Lincoln MKIII is also the same 1968 and very early 1969. 9 inch spacing between the posts.

The Mustang chromed plastic guides are longer on Cougar and Lincoln MKIII, T-Bird is likely the same too. All of those seats have more padding.

Part number is C8MB-54610A16, and they are right at 4 inches tall. The MPC calls them a 'sleeve'.

Northern Pony

I am just looking at this post, and can confirm that Mustang head rests posts are 9" apart center to center, and Marti report confirms head rests came with car.
BoB

rvrtrash

I am just looking at this post, and can confirm that Mustang head rests posts are 9" apart center to center, and Marti report confirms head rests came with car.
BoB

What's the width of the padded top at the widest point?

Steve

Northern Pony

Steve;
The width of padded head rest at widest point is 13.5 " that's 34.4 cm for my Canadian friends.
BoB

GT/CS S Code

Factory installed headrest photos ...

Hi all,
Been offline for a bit with computer "gremlins" running rampant through our system, but back online again.
Our Mustang was the only one of the 27 Candy Apple Red GT/CS "S" code cars with four speed (111 total in all colours) with standard black bucket seats that had the factory headrests installed, which was discovered when we received our Marti report.
Here are a few photos of our headrests if that helps ....
You might notice a slight difference in the colour of the black seats themselves and the headrests in these photos, since we recovered the seats due to the old covers having some tears in them, but when we recovered them we retained the original headrests which are slightly faded from age. In the one photo we had them sitting in the sun in the driveway so that the heat of the sun would tighten up the new covers. The replacement seat covers were a bit wrinkled from being folded up in the shipping boxes when they were received. At the same time we replaced the seat covers we also replaced the old worn out foam cushions and now the rebuilt seats sit so much higher with those new cushions in them that my head is actually brushing the newly installed headliner! I guess it will take a little while for the cushions to "settle in" and drop down an inch or two .... ;-)
Cheers,
Al & Laurie
aka
GT/CS S Code

Attachments

• 68 California Special 004.jpg
    68 California Special 004.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1595.JPG
    IMG_1595.JPG
    198.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1616 resized.jpg