• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 A much needed wonderful relaxing drive

somethingspecial

In 2005 to 2007, my wife and I restored our S code/4 speed GT/CS to Concours Trailered condition. Doing quite well in the Show Circuit, and only driving it from the trailer to the show field and back into the trailer, I never really enjoyed the thrill and enjoyment of driving the car. In the last eight years, we only managed to rack up less than 400 miles on the odometer. This last year, I found myself faced with extensive maintenance just to get it running. Had to change the plugs twice, which took almost six hours each time, refresh the carburetor, drain the fuel system, (Gas just went to *&#&) etc. etc.

This last weekend, I swapped out the show bias ply tires and wheels and installed chrome SS wheels with BF Goodrich Radial tires and my wife and I drove the car to town, fueled it up with 91 octane fuel and I noticed the car began to run smoother and smoother as we drove. I began to relax and enjoy the ride. The following day, I again drove it to town to our local “Cars and Coffee” and I noticed the car ran even smoother than the day before, and this time I was in total relax mode. It felt like I was part of the machine. What a thrill. Something Special seemed to relax as well. I have resolved myself to take better care of the machine and allow myself the pleasure of taking her out for much needed maintenance drives. They always say, “ it take more effort to maintain a Trailer Queen than it does to maintain a driven car”. I guess it depends on your state of mind. This car was a labor of love for me, as it was my first car I ever bought and paid for, and I always wanted to restore it to this condition. I guess what I am trying to say is, if you have a Trailer Queen, do yourself a favor and drive the car once in a while. It is good for the car, and yourself. Enjoy. Mike

stangfan

They are meant to be driven after all. You aren't going to rack up so many miles on it that you would ever hurt the value, and as they say, you only go around once. Better to drive and enjoy it, than to regret not having done so when it's too late. :cool:

Ruppstang

Mike I think you have found the recipe that I have used for years with our trailer cars. I try to pick a clean lightly traveled road at least every other month or more if the weather if nice. That keeps every thing in working order and you aware if there is something that is not. There is nothing more embarrassing than limping or pushing a trailer car on to the show field.
Best of all it makes us feel great!
Marty

mbsf1970

I drive mine to enjoy......of course i don't appreciate the bugs and rock chips but sadly it comes with the territory.
Glad you could feel "at one" with the car....Great feeling!
Stephen

robert campbell

Mike,
GOOD FOR YOU! You have restored a car to perfection as both you and Marty do. Yet you have had the fun of the drive again!! The true test of our past, our memories, and to keep the "flame" alive.

Now all it needs are side pipes!!! work with me here!!!

Rob

Mosesatm

For that true retro look it also needs a leaky sunroof!:ponder:

68 special

I agree totally with driving them rather than having them sit in a garage. Nothing better than windows down and a nice throaty exhaust to liven up the road.
Mine was lacking the original drivetrain, so Concourse was not an option for me.

My hat is off to Mike, Marty and the ones who have the time and patience to spend on a Concourse car.

Bret

Ruppstang

Certainly every car does not need to be a concours car. To get that extra 5-10% of detail the cost is 50% more than a regular restoration. Most people will get the most satisfaction from a restoration such as Neil does. They are beautiful dependable and most importantly a blast to drive! I am a bit different ( as most of you know) as a judge I enjoy all of the little details and factory markings.
This concours driven 68 fastback was one of my favorite cars because it was concours and we drove it thirty eight thousand miles to shows.
My first car was a 1967 GTA hardtop so driving these cars make me feel like sixteen again.
Make a kid's day take them to school in you classic.
Marty

Attachments

• DSC_5445 68 Fastback at Tim O Brian's.jpg
    DSC_5445 68 Fastback at Tim O Brian's.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 26

clubpro

Mike,

I thought that the CS was at the Auto Museum for the Mustang vs. Camaro display. What happened?

Happy to finally hear that you are driving it a little. :)

Cheers,

Ron

OP
OP
somethingspecial

somethingspecial

Ron, after much consideration, I decided not to place the car into the museum as the last time I had it in the Cal Auto Museum, it came home with damage. I was able to repair said damage without much trouble, but when I went to pick it up, a docent had put a jump box on the dead battery and when it still wouldn't start, he rocked the clips on my battery terminals to get a better "Bite" on the terminals. I saw this and blew a gasket. I told him to get away from my car. I was so upset, I just loaded the car and left. It would have been nice to display it again, but not at that cost. I explained it to the curator, who understood completely under the circumstances. Just another failure due to not driving the car.

Just a clarification, The Cal Auto Museum is a wonderful museum, and this experience was not typical of the care they put toward the cars on display.

Last edited:

sam

I take my California Special for a 30 - 100 mile run at least 2X/month April - October. She then goes to hypernate for the winter months. Would love to be able to drive her year round ! Maybe some day if I retire to a wormer climate............
Sam