CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 07/17/2016, 12:21 PM   #1
retroman99

If you're not living on the Edge you're taking up too much room

My Garage
Seat belt installation

I'm in the final stage!! I had my belts restored and believe I got all the correct installation hardware but need some help on the front seat belts. not sure which belt in the picture is the shoulder belt is it the short one or the long one in the picture? I also need to understand what washers are used and where? do I have all the correct spacers and washers? the black rubber spacers. the book seems to imply that the lap belt goes below the shoulder belt or closest to the carpet when installed. any pictures would be a great help I attached a scan of the diagram in the shop manual. does anybody know where to find out what the part number 612A56 spacer is. it does not look like the black rubber washers are used in this location so I done know where they go
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1867.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	20803   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1868.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	20804   Click image for larger version

Name:	seat belt bolts Standard e-mail view.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	20814  

Last edited by retroman99; 07/21/2016 at 07:54 PM..
retroman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/17/2016, 04:17 PM   #2
dalorzo_f
My Car Details

My Garage
On my '68 with the OEM style "2 belt" setup I used the shorter buckle for the shoulder, and on top. On most originals I have seen the small stippled metal washer goes against the body, the rest has been variable.

I think the large washer goes on next, then the belts (or it could be a spacer between them on the trans tunnel to keep them from rattling). The rubber or hard washer goes on top.

On mine I thought the upper bolt was a 3/8-16 thread, not the 7/16-20. It was as shorter bolt (trans was about 2" long, the upper about 1 1/2" long). So I'd think the shorter goes on the top, even if it looks like a 7/16-20 in the pic...

HTH, a bit of a guess... as the install info is not really clear and the new kits don't match the FAM.
dalorzo_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/21/2016, 07:59 PM   #3
retroman99

If you're not living on the Edge you're taking up too much room

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalorzo_f View Post
On my '68 with the OEM style "2 belt" setup I used the shorter buckle for the shoulder, and on top. On most originals I have seen the small stippled metal washer goes against the body, the rest has been variable.

I think the large washer goes on next, then the belts (or it could be a spacer between them on the trans tunnel to keep them from rattling). The rubber or hard washer goes on top.

On mine I thought the upper bolt was a 3/8-16 thread, not the 7/16-20. It was as shorter bolt (trans was about 2" long, the upper about 1 1/2" long). So I'd think the shorter goes on the top, even if it looks like a 7/16-20 in the pic...

HTH, a bit of a guess... as the install info is not really clear and the new kits don't match the FAM.
thank you I think I'm going with your recommendation I need to stop being so anal retentive but trying to make it as correct as I can regardless of who might notice silly washers on the seat belts.
retroman99 is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions